Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Tantrums at 1? Lock Rss

Hi All,

Just need a little bit of advice. Is it normal for a 1 year old to throw a tantrum??

Its just whenever I take something off of him that he cant have he will scream like he has been really hurt himself. Its so bad its made me come running thinking hes hurt. He actually gets quite hysterical about it. If he's lying on the floor he will plant his face in the ground wait a few seconds then start sobbing.

How do I discourage this behaviour and stop it before it gets out of hand?

Cadygirl & Asher Bear
not sure if i can help but this is quite normal. my mother said i did this till i was 5(and hey im normal now) my suggestion is to leave him and when he calms down explain to him face to face that we don't do this when someone takes things away,that you still love him but that you won't listen when he does this
xxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

When DD was doing this a month or two back I had a big chat to my CHN. I was so worried DD was going to be a full on tantie chucker. The CHN said that DD isn't having a tantrum as such, just confused and frustrated. She doesn't really have the mental ability just yet to comprehend what is happening, like taking a toy away. She suggested using distraction with DD and it works like a treat. When it gets to a stage where distraction doesn't work I think I'll go with the no attention thing. I use that for serious discipline now, like when DD bites me. I put her down, and walk away. She has a little cry, then we have the face to face chat about it and cuddle. I like that super nanny concept of only leaving them a minute for each year of their age. I'm still working it all out as I go along though, its not really what I expected so my pre baby plans and ideas are out the window (again) - LOL.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic