Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Worried about bubs being cold during night

Worried about bubs being cold during night Lock Rss

My DS is nearly 5 months and now that the weather is a bit colder I have no idea what to dress him in at night. I have tried a sleeping bag but he moves around so much that he does not sleep. He still likes being wrapped but because he is such a big boy nothing but cotton sheets wrap around him. I usually put him in a singlet, full body suit, wrap in cotton sheet and then tuck into cotton sheet but his hands are freezing. I am too scared to over dress him as well. What do other people do?

Julie, SA, mum to Thomas born 21/11/05

Hi I used to put my son in a fleecey sleeping bag which was sleeveless so he still had his arms out and yes his hands got cold but he never woke because of that. My daughter is in cotton pjs and a singlet under 2 blankets maybe 3 if very cold. She also gets cold hands but doesn't worry her either! I also have a heater in their rooms for when it is very cold which I leave on low overnight so the room isn't cold. Is he still sleeping well? If so you are obviously doing the right thing -He would wake alot if he was cold.
Good luck.

I keep DD in a singlet and fleecy PJ's with covered feet. We keep the house at 20 degrees (heating) as we are in Canberra - brhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. DD has no blankets or sheets - just her !!! She is just toasty enough to sleep well, but not over heat. We tried sleeping bags but they never worked with DD.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi we put your daughter into her warm pj's that cover her feet but her hands do it cold but that doesnt bother her and couple blankets and a heater in her room on low temputure and leave it on til Jaye is ready to go to bed than I turn the heater off.

Good luck.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi, my DS wouldnt sleep unless he was wrapped up so tight he couldn't move, i have gradually got him out of the wrap as he has gotten older. To keep him warm at night (when he was younger) i'd dress him in jumpsuit and singlet, put him in his sleeping bag and then wrap in a light weight wrap i knew he couldn't get out of.
Dont worry about the cold hands all babies get them, it doesn't mean they're cold.
I get really worried about over heating him aswell, but if they are cold they will wake us at night and let us know. I just add another blanket and he goes straight back to sleep, hope this helps.
Hi all

My DD is 3mnths old and had the same problem when she was a bit smaller. I did suceed in getting DD into a sleeping bag eventually. She usually sleeps with a jumpsuit and thick socks as well as her sleeping bag (which has sleeves) When her sleeping bags are in the wash i put her in a long sleeve jumpsuit, jacket and pants with feet and socks underneath and a singlet if i have one handy (forget sometimes) i've never wrapped her for sleeps, but simply use a sheet and a fleecy blanket as shes still in a bassinett. Her hands are ALWAYS cold! Gloves nor mittens work. Although i also do believe if they are cold they will wake and let u know. They do say to dress babies is as many layers as what you wear as a guide.

As for wraps, i bought some Muslin wraps from a baby store and the brand name is DUCK i think. They are bigger than the standard size wrap and are recommended for bigger babies cos their is more material. They were 25bucks for 3. Pricey but i think they're worth it. Big W also has smilar sized wraps in a 3pack for about 12 or 13 dollars.

Good luck! And sounds like you are doing fine so far!

DD#1 - 3.7yrs, DD#2 -20mnths, DD#3 is here! 21.08.

Hi, My DD (4mths) refuses to have her hands under the bed covers she goes absolutly mental until she gets them out, we just went and bought her a pair of mittens which seem to stop her hands freezing. She has just relised that if she kicks all her blankets off, mum has to get up, lol, so gues I'll have to get a sleeping bag and see if that works.
cheers Emmy's mum
Sign in to follow this topic