Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Your Parenting Tips Rss

Hi to all our members,

The Huggies team would like to hear about some of your parenting tips you find useful. Whether they are practical, creative or something you've picked up on the run, we'd love to know.

Here's one of mine to get the ball rolling. Cut your baby's finger nails while they're asleep. There's less chance of them squirming at the crucial moment and taking a chunk from their skin.

We're looking forward to your input.

Regards,

Lauraine

If your daughter has fine hair wet your hands first and not their hair, and u will find its more managable

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Cabbage leaves do wonders for sore breasts - just don't leave them on too long as they will dry up your milk supply

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

My advice for parents is to be consistent with your difficult kids. A strong willed child will need good, firm boundaries and the same rules every day, no matter what. It is exhausting and easy to just say "Do what you want". But now having a nine year old who has great character and makes (mostly) good decisions about how to behave, this advice stands the test of time. I would go to a friend's house and her children would be jumping on the bed with shoes on, or running through the house with food or something, and I would have to say to my son " We don't do that at home, we don't do it here". It was hard to have to do that, but he was not the type of child that could change his behaviour when he got home. My friends soon had to learn not to be offended, but I had to stay strong with our rules, or I wouldn't cope when I got him home. It's a lot harder to undo bad behaviours than to instill good ones from the start. Of course, this means getting your husband, grandparents etc to have the same rules for your child, too, to avoid confusing them.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

good advice . my 4 yr ols son has been watching monsters inc a lot lately but hubby said not to letr him watch it as he gets a bit silly so on friday he sid he was not to watch it but could watch something else . he chose the thundrebirds instead but it is so easy to give in but is not foe rheier best inerssts in the long run . i read some advice trthat said if you cannot conttrol a child at 3 thebn you will not have much chance at 15 . always try to think about this when things are a bit difficult

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Lauraines tip is a great one, but if like mine your baby is a light sleeper and you don't want to chance waking them, the other good time to cut their nails is to get your Partner to do it whle you are bottle / breastfeeding. Also they are softer straight after a bath!

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

My little girl is 16 months old and the only way I can cut her nails now is to sit her on my lap and be armed with a couple of cracker biscuits. Even then she still winges, but, most time she is so focused on what she can put in her mouth that she allows me to cut her fingernails one hand at a time. When she was very young I used to do them whilst she was asleep.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

My tip is not to fuss over your child when they have a bump or scracth. Watch them out of the corner of your eye to make sure they are Ok but if you fuss every time you will end up with a sooky sulky child. My daughter used to stop, look for our reaction and react accordingly. Now she only cries if she genuinely hurts herself. Makes being a mum a lot easier.
My other tip is for high chair play. If you child drops something over the edge warn them and on the third time DONT pick it up. This will save your back.
These sound hard but are well worth the effort and my little girl is very happy with the rules

Fiona, NSW

always turn socks and booties inside out and trim any cotton that is loose, they can get caught in babies toes and cause pain, and you would never know why they are crying.
I have a 4 month old and I have found that by keeping bub awake during the day does not mean that he/she will sleep well during the night.

More than likely he/she will be miserable and have unsettled times in the afternoon.

Good sleeps throughout the day mean good sleep at night.

Cheers
Jo
Luke - 4 months - 13.05.2004
Hi Im Leisa,

My tip is that for first time Mum's please listen to the Nurse's. Dont get fooled into running to them when they cry. After checking the is she this list, and she still cry's dont go till atleast 1 and a half hours have past, you might find that she is just crying because she is excerciseing her lungs and is getting use to the environment. Also that they are seeing if you will fall for attention pleas. Also Start with I won't take that garbage tacktics It has helped me have not fussy eaters, who listen and talk very well, and I almost have them toilet trained by 3 and I have two boys the same age. Also this makes for good sleepers. Try sound muffs to block out screeming, this helps in getting good sleepers. They will soon get the message your not going to run when they cry all the time and they will only cry for a actual reason. Be alittle tough, and you will get alot of return. Mrs L. Commins

Mrs. L Commins

At the risk of being rude, how do you know if it is 'real' screaming if you have earmuffs on? Secondly, I think that lungs are organs, not muscles. They don't need exercising. Crying is about as good for the lungs as bleeding is good for the arteries! While babies may cry for many reasons and you may not choose to pick them up each time, a mother has a duty of care to eliminate all 'real' problems before deciding it is an attention cry or whatever. Little babies can not manipulate. They are built with a mechanism to cry to communicate needs. Even if it is just to be held. I think I need to stop now..

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic