Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Your Safety Tips Rss

When getting out of the car always get the more mobile child (toddler or preschooler) out last so you have control over where they are and what they are doing. A baby can't wander through a busy car park like a toddler can!

Yes that's right safety tips for our baby is needed. I have something to introduce about the baby car seat it is safe for your baby while in the car to avoid accident. Just visit this site http://carseatsandcover.webs.com/.
Ensure bookcases are bolted to your walls. I have heard nasty stories about babies and toddlers being very seriously hurt as they have pulled themself up on a freestanding bookcase. They are not so sturdy if someone is pulling on them!

Most people think of barriers for stairs, but you also need to ensure you have one at the bottom of the stairs. If small babies climb up a few stairs they can easily fall backwards.
Some great safety tips!!

Our business is child safety and we sell Anti Tip TV Straps. Sadly 3 children every week in Qld alone are injured by tip over injury.

The straps are on display at the Kidsafe Demo house in Brisbane. You can also purchase through Kidsafe at the Brisbane or Canberra shops. The straps secure the TV to the furniture or wall and retail for $22.95. They are also available at www.motherknowsbest.com.au

As we work closely with Kidsafe some other great tips they have passed on to us are:

* Dont encourage the use of your driveway as a play area. Always make sure an adult is holding your child or the child is in the car with you, when you move the car. - Sadly many children every year have been killed by driveway accidents.

* Make sure the pram brake is on! Prams can roll away so easily.

* Keep batteries away from little children. If swallowed the can cause horrific internal burns.

* Make sure your TV is as far back as possible. Dont put toys or other objects a child will reach for on the TV or stand. Ensure the TV is wall mounted or secured with straps on a stable TV stand. Make sure TV cords are out of reach. Make sure doors or draws are removed or secured to stop them being used as steps.
really good idea about covering the karseat to prevent it getting hot dont know why I naver thought of that.I wouldnt let them to take anything to bed with them or if I had to pop outside I would allways leave them on a playmat with no toys other than ones on the gym or matt.barriers and gates for kitchen and stairs if you have them.If use amber necklaces put around foot to avoid choking hazard.Agee with taking off bibs when putting them to bed,checking temperature of everything they eat and drink.Keeping cott away from windows blinds ect.I use a bath seat but obviously never for a second leave them alone in it.

Those of you in Sydney, Westmead Childrens Hospital has a Kidsafe House which looks like a typical family home and shows you all the things that you need to be aware of to make your home kidsafe. I haven't been yet, but seeing bubs is starting to move around, i'm going soon.

Brisbane has one too, near the RBWH. They also fit car seats and sell a range of safety items.
make sure there aren't any small pieces and that nothing can come off of it to prevent choking. I try to get plastic toys the best since they are the easiest to properly sanitize. Always check to make sure the toy has not been recalled (I have seen toys on the shelves for two weeks after it was recalled, before the store was told to take it off).
Hello! Very good topic on the forum. I read a lot of comments and learned a lot about the new one. Yes, you are right, that the main thing is where children grow and learn, where they find comfort, love and care. Here they can see, touch, explore and experience the world around them, so their minds and bodies develop properly. This is also a place where children should feel safe.

However, home injuries are the leading source of accidental death for children. The media reports contain information about possible accidents that may occur, for example, bite a trusted pet, suffocate in a balloon or wander the front door.

Fortunately, due to education and prevention, you can mostly avoid house injuries. Parents can take proactive steps to protect children from children and protect their children by teaching them a few practical rules. Thanks to your forum, I learned a lot, and I want to add more. Snatching in water while bathing or playing time is great fun for children, but water poses many possible dangers. Drowning can occur less than an inch of water, which makes baths, sinks, basins and even buckets a source of great danger. For safety, it is important to prevent situations that can lead to accidents. Never leave your child unattended near water, even for a few seconds. If a phone or doorbell rings, when your child or small child is in the bathroom, take it away, wrap it in a towel and take it with you. Do not leave it alone: ??only a few seconds are required for drowning.
Backyard pools, whirlpool baths, marsh pools, even small koi or ponds can become dangerous in an instant. Make sure that you have a fence around the pool or pond so that young children do not dare where they should not, and think about the alarm system on the doors leading to the pool. Hot baths should be closed when not in use. Wading pools or mudguards should always be emptied when playback time is over. I hope my information will be useful.
- Don't keep any dangerous items (knives, hot drinks) close to the counter edge
- Make sure any stairways are blocked, especially when there are big kids are around
- Magnet locks on cabinets
- Secure furniture like bookshelves that can fall over
You don't leave them anywhere unsupervised.
I remember when my son became fully mobile he was like a little tornado knocking everything down within reach (anything table height), emptying drawers and cupboards, redistributing everything around the house. If you don't want them getting into it, it's got to be put away, far away. If it's something that might grab their attention, out of sight so they don't try to scale furniture to get to it.
Another option - we purchased a big plastic playard and set it up so it took up most of our (smallish) family room. And put safe toys inside. It helps when you need to keep your hands free.
I kept all kitchen knives in a box on top of our fridge.
I got a lock for the bathroom cabinet.
All our furniture (drawers, shelves) was screwed to the wall. Baby gates on the stairs until my son fully understood how to get down the stairs safely.

You've got to keep an eye on them constantly!
Sign in to follow this topic