Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

dicipline Rss

Hello all-
my daughter Sophie is 8 1/2 months old, and crawling all over the place. Yesterday I found her standing in her cot, and she pulls herself to standing on anything she can get her hands on. Her favourite "toys"are power cords, and she loves to each dirt. I find myself constantly calling out "NO"and trying to distract her when she seems to be getting into danger, but it doesn't seem to do any good. When she is crawling at top speed towards the garden beds for a snack of soil, I call out no, and she stops, looks at me and smiles, then continues on. If I pick her up and give her something else to do, she just goes straight back! I don't want her to think I am a tyrant, but she doesn't seem to understand what mummy saying no in a stern vioce actually means! I don't expect her to understand why I try to dicipline her, but when will she understand what no means? And apart from constantly watching her, how can I teach her that mummy will stop her from doing something dangerous? When does dicipline start to work?

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

i'm wondering the same thing myself.. my wee man is 10 mths old and does just the same thing...distraction does work briefly and i have found he takes me more seriously if i say his name as well as no.
I found saying No a few times and then giving my child a smack on the hand made her think twice about touching things I didn't want her to. However at that young age, I only smacked her once sharply on the back of the hand for things that she was doing that were dangerous,....eg. the power points/leads.....things like eating dirt and stones and stuff I just said no as I rescued the object from her mouth, but it just isn't worth getting too worried about.

You certainly need to baby proof your homes at this age don't you?! I found it became safe very quickly at our house, but I suddenly have to be on the lookout again when we go to other's homes,.....they just don;t think about all the dangerous things they have on the baby's level!

I know a lot of people don't agree with smacking, and I don't want to get into a debate about it either, I find it works for me though.
I always try to make sure that I am consistent with my child, and give her plenty of warnings also, and I make sure that I follow thru with her disobedience before I've gotten annoyed with her, because smacking in anger leads to possibly harming a child, and I would never want to do that......I love her too much!

Hope this helps, and hope I havent said too much.

Consistency is the key,....they get the idea soon enough however you discipline them.

Georgina
Sign in to follow this topic