Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Cloth Nappies Rss

Bound to be controversial, but I am curious anyway.

How many of you use cloth nappies? If you use them, how do you wash them?

I use cloth during the day and 'sposies at night. I soak them in nappisan then wash in lux in the machine and hang them in the sun. I know there are other methods that may be better and would like some info - all the chemicals are bothering me. I've thought about using tea-tree oil to sanitise - does anyone do this?

Thanks for the help.

(PS please keep it nice - I just want my questions answered, not to start WW3!!)

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

He, he, you're brave bringing this here. I am not sure if you are allowed to promote other nappies here. But anyway here goes. Yes I use cloth. (used for 3 years on ds and now using on dd)

I do sometimes use napisan (although the aldi brand) but mostly I just use a bit of washing powder. I chuck the nappies in the machine, use normal washing powder, soak in machine overnight. Add a little vinegar to the final rinse and hang out to dry. Neither of my kids seemed to get any nappy rash from doing this. (well no worse than using nappi san or disposables) so I figure it's alright to wash like this.

On rainy days or overcast days I use napisan. But I find the sun and the vinegar actually kill quite a few germs anyway.
Hi Logansmum,

I use Kooshies (cloth nappies with velcro tabs, very cute!) when my Huggies supply is running low.

The care instructions on the kooshies recommend using 1/2 cup of bicarb soda mixed with cold water in your nappy bucket. Then wash as normal with lux flakes or whatever and always rinse twice to get rid of any soap sediment that could cause nappy rash.

I find this works really well. I have been using the same nappies for 5months now and there are no stains to speak of. Plus bicarb is loads cheaper than napisan!

Rachel, WA, Isabella 15/10/05

I use cloth nappies day and night, I was them in hot water with washing powder and then rinse in cold water i do soak them throgh the day in nappie san.
might sound crazy but if thay do have a little stain on them when i hang them out the sun will bring the stain out natural sun ha ha
i don t think i would use tea tree oil even though you are puting it into to water as it is very strong smelling and over powering

baby brittney

Sign in to follow this topic