Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Making your own baby wipes

Making your own baby wipes Lock Rss

Suggestions anyone?

Not keen on using supermarket brands with all this controversy about some of the ingrediants in them. I hear using something as simple as paper towels (the nice, soft, reliable sort ofcourse...) soaking in different blends of oils or something similar is perfectly okay.
I use witch hazel & Rosewater mixed with water and then have those baby face clothes (i have a different colour for the face and bum) and i soak them in it. when i go out i use the small plastic huggies travel pack to store the damp clothes. i have a nappy wetbag to store dirty wipes but you can always just use a snaplock bag.

Paige 23/5/06 Tyler 27/11/08

I just use scrap material or flannels. Olive oil in water. Sometimes lavender oil or chamomile tea in it as well.
2 cups of water in a container with an airtight lid, mix in a few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of lavender. Remove the cardboard tube from a roll of double length handi- ultra paper towel and soak up all the water (you may need to add more). Keep the lid closed when not in use, I just tear off a few towels before I take the nappy off. Love them!!!
Hi!

I use cotton wool balls dipped into warm water for babies under 6months (when they are still easy to clean!), then after that I wipe with wet flannel, dry toilet paper or the nappy and then if needed sit them in the bath or trough to rinse them smile

I like the idea using essential oils, but don't think that would be suitable for all children, particularly ones with eczema or skin sensitivities.

OC, the olive oil I presume wipes everything off because it is an oil? That's a good idea...

Hi!

I use cotton wool balls dipped into warm water for babies under 6months (when they are still easy to clean!), then after that I wipe with wet flannel, dry toilet paper or the nappy and then if needed sit them in the bath or trough to rinse them smile

I like the idea using essential oils, but don't think that would be suitable for all children, particularly ones with eczema or skin sensitivities.

OC, the olive oil I presume wipes everything off because it is an oil? That's a good idea...

yep, olive oil is good for that. I agree with the essential oils. Also I am wary about using too much of any of them, things like lavender are linked to increased estrogen so its a once in a blue moon thing in my house. (same as oil in the bath)
If anyone has had success with making their own wipes, especially when the little ones have eczema, I would be extremely interested.

Most of the ingredients usually contain essential oils or shampoo which only aggravates her eczema, and also makes her little bum bleed sometimes after cleaning.
I am much more confident using essential oils in my wipes solution than buying wipes containing chemicals. A bottle lasts months.

There are only a few drops of each diluted in over 2 cups of water then absorbed by paper towel that lasts almost 2 weeks of nappy changes.

DD has eczema (only on the backs of her knees) and we've found these wipes don't aggravate her skin at all.

yep, olive oil is good for that. I agree with the essential oils. Also I am wary about using too much of any of them, things like lavender are linked to increased estrogen so its a once in a blue moon thing in my house. (same as oil in the bath)

But you just said in your previous post that you "sometimes" add lavender oil to your wipes solution......
I use normal wipes from the supermarket but when i have run out or my daughter gets a nappy rash (either from change of nappy or heat) I use one of her old singlets that she no longer fits in, damp it in warm water and then put sorboline cream on afterwards smile

p.s - singlets that your little ones no longer fit in make fantastic bench cloths too ;D

But you just said in your previous post that you "sometimes" add lavender oil to your wipes solution......

i did. smile I put it in maybe every 2/3 weeks. I think the issue is when it is used a lot I just have no idea how much is a lot!

I also find the oils quite expensive and while it is not the main reason for making wipes I do like to save as well smile

you don't need any fancy oils. Any cold pressed oil will do. Olive oil is $5-$7 and would probably last 6months to a year just for wipes. almond oil is another good one.
Sign in to follow this topic