Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. When to start brushing teeth

When to start brushing teeth Lock Rss

Hi

When did you start to brush your baby's teeth?

At 11 months and 4.5 and one coming through, is it too young to?

Also, how do you get them to spit it out?

Hi

I just gave my children the toothbrush while they were in the bath, just to have a chomp on, and get used to holding it and the feel etc...

I guess my two learned to spit by watching us. They still don't spit all the time, but to be honest, I'm not too concerned about it.

Hi

Hi

You need to brush them as soon as they appear using a baby toothbrush and water, no need for toothpaste till they are two (so say the dentists) but I started using a tiny smear of "milk teeth" toothpaste from around 14 months.

You dont need to get them to spit out, its not something they learn till alot older but you do need to brush their teeth at least twice a day.

Hi

You need to brush them as soon as they appear using a baby toothbrush and water, no need for toothpaste till they are two (so say the dentists) but I started using a tiny smear of "milk teeth" toothpaste from around 14 months.

You dont need to get them to spit out, its not something they learn till alot older but you do need to brush their teeth at least twice a day.

the reason dentists say not to use toothpaste until they are 2 is because of the fluoride. Too much fluoride can make kids sick and they shouldn't be swallowing it at all. A basic rule of thumb is no fluoride toothpaste until they can spit it out.

the reason dentists say not to use toothpaste until they are 2 is because of the fluoride. Too much fluoride can make kids sick and they shouldn't be swallowing it at all. A basic rule of thumb is no fluoride toothpaste until they can spit it out.

Milk teeth toothpaste is low flouride so if you use a tiny smear, and I mean tiny then they are ingesting a minimal amount. It is for ages 1-6.

Some flouride is actually good for dental health, neither of my kids have dental decay (ages 3 and 6) and their health is great.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Dental_care_fluoride

This actually says introduce milk teeth toothpaste at 18 months. Provided your kids arent eating the toothpaste and you are using a tiny amount, it is very beneficial for dental health.
fluoride is good for dental health, just not general health. a tiny bit from the toothbrush twice a day, some in the tap water, some in the food....it all adds up. thats why dentists say not to give it to them before they can spit it out. it should NOT be ingested.
I started around 5-6 months when DD got her first tooth (well actually she got 3 at once and handled it like a trooper!). To begin we had a rubber teething brush so she could chew on it to soothe her gums and in the process clean the teeth.

I don't use toothpaste yet, i don't think it's necessary at the moment. We follow the same routine every day; i stand her on the bathroom bench so she can see herself and me in the mirror and she mimics brushing (and has just started leaning over the sink every so often like she's going to spit but hasn't as yet). Once i'm finished brushing mine, i lay her down across my lap and brush them, rinsing the toothbrush regularly to get rid of food particles.

At almost 17mo she doesn't mind the bottom but still hates getting her top ones done especially the molars. But even if they scream and carry on you just have to tell yourself it's for the greater good and a small price to pay compared to dentist bills!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

My dd is 6 months and she got her first 2 teeth at just under 5 months. I gave her the toothbrush to chomp on every nappy change and in the shower. She now knows how to hold it and get it right on the teeth. It is important to shart cleaning them now, no need for toothpaste until they are older but definitely start cleaning wink wink

my DS's have had their teeth in the shower in the morning and then at night time, i use a tiny smear of milk teeth toothpaste except a a bit more then a smear for my eldest he is almost 4, i brush DD without tooth paste but since they were all about 3 months i had a finger slip brush it didnt have actual brush part on it just was a ribbed so that they would be used to brushing and me sticking a brush in their mouth when they had a tooth appear and so far its worked had no problems with getting them to brush and no crying smile DS1 spits the paste out and has since he was about 2 and a half just from watching us.
As soon as the teeth come through you should start brushing them. If you have flouride in your water, you probably don't need toothpaste just yet. We don't have any in our water, so I have been told by the health nurse to use a little bit. I smear the tiniest bit on so that if it gets swallowed it won't be much.
Sign in to follow this topic