Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. When does rocking/jiggling your baby become to excessive?

When does rocking/jiggling your baby become to excessive? Lock Rss

Hi, my 6 week old and I love to dance to music and obviously we rock and jiggle around abit because he loves it, it puts him to sleep and calms him down, he loves the music, I'm just worried about shaken baby syndrome? Like could dancing with bub be shaking him too much? Obviously I support his head while we're dancing so it's not like his head is shaking around, but I'm just wondering when does the jiggling motion become a concern? Or is it perfectly safe to dance with bub as long I support his head? And we don't jump or anything, just rocking and jiggling abit. He seems to really like it, like I said it puts him sleep. What's everyone's thoughts ?

Dancing and movement is great for your baby developmental. It helps develop there vestibular system. For shaken baby to occur your baby would have to be physically shaken bad and forth causing a whiplash effect to the brain.
I think if it causes your baby to fall asleep it must be perfectly safe smile Its good to support the head but if he is enjoying what you are doing I would stick to it.
There are several studies done on piglets and also a recent study on sports injuries to find out what kinds of impacts are excessive. A large traumatic force or shaking would result in brain injury as would small repeated force for longer periods of time. In one study 130–150?rad/s resulting in brain injury after two events, 190?rad/s moderate shaking resulted in brain injury and 222 rad/s resulted in death. That is quite fast shaking. There is also the acceleration (force) and jerk to consider. There is also the break/recovery time between events to consider. If the brain can recover but the force is repeated before full recovery can add to the injury.

Supporting the head is of little to no help as the injury is done when the brain hits the skull. Of course if the babies head hit something hard then the injury would be worse and supporting the neck, because the head is the heaviest part of the body helps the neck and spine and prevents the head itself being an addition to the shaking.

The fact that it puts him to sleep could be concerning. As well as concussion being a concern there could also be milder micro injuries causing fatigue.

No need to stop dancing, but stop 100% any fast shaking or large impacts.
Rocking puts most babies to sleep. It's most causing any demage! Shaken baby is caused by forceful shaking!
From what other mothers have said and from my own experiance him going to sleep while dancing (it's gentle dancing, (I'm not tearing it up lol) is quite normal. The movement puts most babies to sleep as it reminds them of in the womb, I've been researching on the Internet about this, and what I'm doing is causing him no damage, he loves it, there's even classes where mum n bub go with bub strapped to your chest and they dance/exercise and it puts all their babys to sleep too. It's the general movement. And I've been researching shaken baby syndrome and yes, the baby needs to be violently shaken for that to occur (certainly not what we're doing)
And I don't shake him fast, I gently rock him and bob him up n down a bit, with full head support and cuddled close on my chest so he isn't moving much at all, he's just moving with me. No "large impacts" or fast shaking obviously. I'm pretty sure it's safe and he likes it.

Plus he is a newborn (6 weeks) and most newborns sleep 16-18 hours a day, there's nothing im doing to cause him fatigue, he's a newborn, they sleep a lot.

Sign in to follow this topic