Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Where are you on Vaccinations?

Where are you on Vaccinations? Lock Rss

I met with a lady today who was dead against vaccinations due to her feeling like they had "poisons" in them and saying they do more harm than good. I totally disagree and think vaccinating is safe and the best thing you can do to protect your child. I told her my opinion and boy did she get angry! I think parents who don't vaccinate are irresponsible and not looking out for the health of thier child. She told me I am one of the few mums who still think its best to vaccinate, I think that is wrong, how many mums agree and disagree with it? Interested to know.

Yep I agree with you, and not only are they endangering their own child they are endangering yours.
I have a good friend who is extremely against vaccinations, and we kind of agree to disagree on the subject. But she knows that of there is ever a breakout of measles or whooping cough (and things they vaccinate for) in our area, we won't be having any contact until the outbreak is over.
I believe if too many choose to go unvaccinated it will put the weakest of our society at risk, and there is no way I want to take a chance on a vulnerable newborn.
Some of my friends laughed at me that they didn't see DS2 until he was about eight weeks old as I was always wearing him when out and about, where as the another mother with the same age little one was passing her around to be admired, and they couldn't understand why i wasn't doing the same. I just felt he was better off just near mum smile
Ramble I know, but yep, I agree with you.

Totally agree with you! Also could you tell me how to get one of those chart things you have on the bottom of your posts please?

Most parents get their children vaccinated. It's only a very small minority that don't. I am very pro vaccinating. All of my coffee group vaccinated their children as have my friends with children. In fact I don't know anyone with unvaccinated children. I have seen children die or be very unwell in PICU with some of these diseases it is not worth the risk. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c...
Completley agree that vaccinations are necessary. We are seeing more outbreaks of infections these days like whooping cough because the vaccination rate is quite low, Which is why the government are becoming quite tough on vaccinations and schools. It only takes one unvaccinated person coming back from another country or contract something in hospital from a child who was not vaccinated to start an outbreak.
Hi zza2014, I just read that news paper article, that is heartbreaking. The poor boy. And what a silly mother.
I hope he makes a full recovery and his mother gets him immunised! That is so sad, and it all could have been prevented! And yes tonimarie, I totally agree. I'm glad I'm not in the minority as I was told I was (silly woman) I will always vaccinate my children. Not only to protect them but others around them. I only wish all mothers would do the same!

We choose to because it is what we feel is best for our family situation. We have several immuno-compromised people and another that don't serioconvert to a specific disease that we can vaccinate against in our extended family that we regularly see so, for us, having our children immunised means that we're providing that extra layer of protection for those people. We recognise that our children may still end up with something that they've been immunised against and don't use it as a 'we're immunised so they can't get it' and tend to be overly cautious about the slightest sniffle and having contact with those family members but it is what we do to try and protect them as much as we can.

I've also had some of the things that we can now vaccinate against, including whooping cough, and having had them I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. If I can give my children even some protection against them I'll take it.

Leisa.
My child is only partially vaccinated due to my husband and I agreeing to disagree somewhat on the situation. I don't think that makes us irresponsible or silly. That's what works for us.
Just a thought.. If your children are fully vaccinated and you believe the vaccinations work and protect them then why are you so concerned an un-vac child can "pass on" diseases to your child? That would mean your child's vaccinations don't work?
boo15 wrote:
Just a thought.. If your children are fully vaccinated and you believe the vaccinations work and protect them then why are you so concerned an un-vac child can "pass on" diseases to your child? That would mean your child's vaccinations don't work?

Babies aren't fully protected until after they've had their 5 month immunisations, so until then, they're vulnerable to these diseases. If the people around them are fully vaccinated, then it greatly lessens the risk of the baby getting sick. That's why in NZ they've been promoting pregnant mothers in their families to get a whooping cough booster as the immunity fades (like tetanus).
There are definitely cases where not vaccinating is the right thing to do for certain families but in most cases I think that people who don't vaccinate have been 'researching' a poor quality of information. An intermediate understanding of human biology would, in most cases, put people's mind at ease regarding the 'poisons'. The Big Pharma/ government conspiracy claims are just plain laughable though. Yes, there is such a thing as a 'vaccine injury' and that's unfortunate but it's also rare.
If I'm honest, I'll be a bit worried in a few weeks time when I take my newborn for her vaccines but I will still get them done; not because I'm a 'sheeple' who hasn't done her so-called research but because I'm a mum who believes in the benefits of vaccinations and understands the (minuscule) risk involved.
boo15 wrote:
My child is only partially vaccinated due to my husband and I agreeing to disagree somewhat on the situation. I don't think that makes us irresponsible or silly. That's what works for us.

It was my un vaccinated newborn I was concerned about.

boo15 wrote:

That's cool for you to have that opinion and only partially vaccinate your child as its your child and your choice, but being fully vaccinated also does not mean that your child cannot contract diseases from other children who are not vaccinated. And like others have said, your baby isn't protected properly until after 5/6 months after the third dosage of the first vaccines. Pretty sure any vaccinated baby can catch those diseases they are vaccinating for, the affects are just lessened and not so bad and baby will probably recover quite well but an unvaccinated child might die for example. I wouldn't be taking risks with my baby by letting him near un vaccinated or partially vaccinated children. If you choose not to vaccinate then you are not giving your baby a good start in life, you are not giving them a chance to be healthy, you need to make the right decisions as a mother because your child can't make those decisions for themselves. The risks of not vaccinating are much higher than those of vaccinating. But hey, it's your choice.

Sign in to follow this topic