Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Not coping and about to crack

Not coping and about to crack Lock Rss

This is a long one, so I apologise in advance for the scroller...

About 3 weeks ago Isabelle (almost 8 months old) was having problems with her top teeth coming through. She was whingy and stopped sleeping through the night, sometimes waking up 6 or 7 times.
Her teeth finally came through and for 3 days I had an angel of a child and it was bliss. Then it all went down hill. For the past 2 weeks she just cries and cries if I'm not holding her. She won't play by herself on the floor and even when I'm there with her she has to sit on my lap. If she looses physical contact with me she starts to cry and if I leave her sight (to go tot he toilet, get a drink etc) she screams. This morning I tried to see what would happen if I let her cry (see if she would get the point that I wouldn't always pick her up) and she followed me around for 25mins screaming her lungs out.

She is also having serious issues with day sleeps. I tried controlled crying but she will NOT settle to sleep. The longest she held out before I caved was 1hr 45mins and she screamed the whole time, worked herself into a sweat and vomited.

So silly me (desperate measures had me find a quick fix to silence) started to rock her to sleep and that was fine, but for the past week she wakes the instant I put her in the cot.
If I do manage to get her to sleep she only sleeps for 10-20 mins once or twice a day (if I'm lucky).

This has only started in the last few weeks. She has always been a cuddly bub but was happy to play on the floor either with someone or by herself, or sit in her highchair and have something to eat and now she won't do either.

Has anyone else had this problem with their bubs or have any idea's on how to break out of this rut we seem to be in. I feel like I am crying as much as she is these days.
oh jamie you poor thing. i cant help you, but i did listen. sometimes that helps. try to keep reminding yourself that she is still only a baby and crying (and sometimes screaming) is her only way of communication. its hard sometimes i know. keep you chin up.

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Hi Jaime

my daughter (8 months on thursday) has been the same recently she has just had 2 top teeth come through over the last 2 weeks and decided that she does not want to sleep through the day at all or for only 20-30 mins for the last week and a half until yesterday i managed to get her to sleep for 1.5 hours but like you i had to hold her and rock her to sleep.
and she was also the same with wanting to be with me all the time and have cuddles and if i walked away then she would start to cry. but use to be able to leave her to play with toys like you.
also i noticed she use to be a really big daddy's girl but around the same time she hasn't really been going to him and mostly me.

luckily she has been fine during the night and still sleeping a solid 12 hours.

i guess all i am going to do at the moment is wait and see if it continues because it seems to be getting better and slowly cut out having to rock her to sleep hopefully it will get better soon.

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

Hi Jamie... I have an Isabella and by the sounds of your post she may be Isabelle's twin!!

We've had a horrific couple of weeks as well. I originally put it down to teething because she's been whingy and really clingy all day then waking up 5-6 times a night screaming but there's still no sign of another toothie peg. It's so tiring and heartbreaking for us as well because all we want to do is be able to make it better for them.

Last week Bella had a high temp and was sick for three days and then just yesterday she broke out in a terrible rash all over her body and face that looks really itchy (the doctor thinks is just a viral thing) and she's been doubly irritable since. Aaaaargh! I feel like I'm at the end of my tether.

We've been trying to get her into a routine and have her self settle but it's just stressing me out even more so I've caved completely and decided to leave it all until she's back to her old self.

Have you got a Jolly Jumper??? That would be my only suggestion. As miserable as Isabella has been she still happily had a bounce around yesterday and I got a much needed break.

Sorry I haven't got any more ideas but I just thought I'd let you know that I was going through the same thing, hopefully it's just a bit of a stage and they'll get over it soon.

All the best. I'll be thinking of you when I'm up at all hours tonight smile

Rachel, WA, Isabella 15/10/05

oh my goshies all i can offer is my support

how are you coping through every day??
you poor mumma

im sure lots of mummies will be able to hwlp you

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Hi jaime you poor darling I know how you feel im having the same problem with my daughter who is 11 months old and im still working out what I can do Jaye and make her sleep though the night and etc and teething a awful stage in a babys life and even on us and it make it so hard to do everything around the house.

I normally give nurofen to Jaye before she has her last feed for the night so it helps with teething and sometimes it works for a few hours and other times it doesnt.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic