Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. what to say to the inlaws?

what to say to the inlaws? Lock Rss

Hi,

anyone been in a similar situation where baby has not seen grandparents for a few months? What is the best way as the inlaws are gagging to see baby which is not what I have an issue with, I know what they will be like and want to cuddle her and play with her, but babies being what they are don't take to strange faces too kindly (even if the faces belong to the grandparents!) My own parents hang back and wait until our baby is comfortable enough around them to go to them (she can crawl) in her own time and pace. How do you explain this to the grandparents (without offending them) who need to be anything short of physically restrained (not literally but you get my point) from stressing my child out so much because they love her and miss her so much?

Any advice, similar experiences all appreciated.Many thanks in advance.

SJ
Be upfront and honest thats the best way
Just let them know how you do things and how she reacts to too many kisses

i wish i would want to see my inlaws but my MIL is so crazy we never go around

good luck
xxxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

the only thing i can suggest is to explain to them that your DD is at a stage where she likes firmiliar faces. she doesnt react well to 'strangers' (although her grandparents, still sort of strangers) just picking her up and smothering her with affection. ask them to let your DD get used to them in her own time. they are welcome to get on the floor and play with her etc, but make sure they give her space. this is important, as babies need to learn about their personal space.

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Tell them she is at the age that she prefers to crawl and do her own thing till she gets used to them. Perhaps they could read her a story or sit next to her at the table so that she sees them doing normish things and doesn't get to scared. Funny the little fears they have.

Though my 3yr old is the opposite when people come to visit and is usually jumping up and down for their attention!

Sal, two mischief boys 4yrs & 16 mth's

Sign in to follow this topic