Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. ***prune juice or no prune juice***

***prune juice or no prune juice*** Lock Rss

hi i was told to give my DD (17 WEEKS) prune juice as she is constipated but i just read not to. this is wat it says :
Things you should NOT do when a baby is constipated

There are some things you should not do to treat constipation in babies:
Don't give prune juice - it contains a natural bowel irritant and is not suitable for infants under nine months of age, even when diluted.
Don't add any form of sugar, malt extract or rice cereal to formula - it will not help the constipation.
Don't introduce solids before four to six months of age - it's not recommended as a way to treat constipation.
DO I GIVE IT TO HER OR NOT?

mother of summa-lee and jaxsen

Hi there.

They really know how to confuse you don't they? I gave my DD prune juice when she was badly constipated but she was 6 months old and on solids at that stage. This was advised by my GP, who told me to dilute it 30:70 (prune juice to water). She also suggested, if that didn't work, to add a teaspoon of sugar to her formula, but only to do it once. I guess it really depends on whether your DD is on solids yet. If she is I do have some other suggestions.

When my DD was in hospital there was a 3 month old baby suffering from severe constipation, they were giving her apple juice for it.

Hey Kat

I know we have had a chat about this in your other post but I forgot to mention that I was told to try the prune juice by my CHN and my local Pharmacist and they both said it's much better for bubs than using any sort of medication (if you can avoid it). They advised to buy the Sunraysia brand rather than one for bubs as they said it was more effective. My bub never had any probs with the prune juice and I only put a little bit in his cereal and it made a huge difference. He loves the taste so it made it easy to give to him.

My CHN and the pharmacist also told me to try the teaspoon of brown sugar in water & I have to say that I was pretty reluctant to try that as I didn't want bub to have sugar. In the end I gave it a go but it didn't make any difference. I say go the prune juice but it's totally your choice and you have to do what feels right. Best of luck!!

Tracy, QLD, Nathaniel born 27 June 2005

We have been giving our 10 month old baby girl prune juice since she was about 6 months old. We make our own which is 1 cup of pitted prunes to 5 cups of water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 3 hours, blend, and you are good to go. We decided to make our own prune juice instead of giving her apple or any of the other juices on the market which I have read aren't that great for babies as they are too sweet for there developing teeth. Kaitlyn has never had a problem with poos or drinking the juice. It is one of the things that she has that I am more than happy to give her. When I went to the clinic for her six month check up and told the mid wife that she was a little bit constipated after changing from breast to bottle the mid wife asked if we were giving her prune juice and told us there was nothing wrong with it.

I hope this helps settle your mind a little.

Kaz

Karen, NSW, 1 baby girl

Sign in to follow this topic