Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. whats the right age gap???

whats the right age gap??? Rss

My son Declan is about 8 months old and we just found out on Sunday that I am pregnant again, so by the time this bubba gets here Declan will be about 17 or 18 months old!!!
I'm stressed because I don't know how I will cope with one running around and a new one wanting to be fed all the time!!!!

Please help!!!!!!

Mum to Declan born 30.03.04

Sorry you feel stressed at the moment,but it should be easier once you get used to it.My son was born on the 14/3/04 and we just started trying for another(should know in about a week) A few times I thought what are we doing!!!! But I'm sure everything happens for a reason and the babies will be good friends being so close in age.My mum had my sister and brother 1 year apart and even as adults they are really close.I'll let you know in a week or so if i'm pregnant and we can try and help each other stay calm and enjoy our pregnancies.Talk again soon.
Whats right for one family isnt always right for another.

In otherwords, there is no right or wrong age gap, Just make sure you have lots of support around you. Its not as hard or as scary as it sounds smile

good luck a nd Congrats!

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Thanks for your reply jarah, it has certainly helped now that I have taken the time to have a good think about it and also had a good talk with my partner. All our best wishes for you , I hope you are successful in your bid to get pregnant.

I'm not as stressed now because he more I think about it, the I realise that the things I was worried about when I was pregnant with Declan I now have a good idea about. Like labour. I was so scared about labour but went on to have a wonderful textbook labour with only gas and heat bags and the shower for pain relief.

I think it was more that we weren't trying for another one yet. I was actually supposed to start on the pill again on my next period, which consequently never came!!!! he he he. But I can now see that this will be another miracle to join our small family.

let me know how you go with your test!!!!!
Good luck x o x o

Mum to Declan born 30.03.04

there is no right age group i think. i am looking at falling preg again about may nxt year which will leave a 2 yhear gap between my first child. i fell pregnant when ava was 7months old but sadly had a misscarriage(september 04) thats the second misscarriage i have had in 2 years

19yr old 1st time mummy to ava born jan 7th 2004

Theres no right or wrong !

Just be grateful as your lucky you conceived so quick..heeheehe Just like everything else ..things will fall into place

Mel

8 month old

hi well i have just had my second baby and there is only a 19 month age gap between him and his sister and you think that it will be hard but we are coping very well alot easier then what i thought everything just falls into place goodluck with everything.
Hi

My son was 6mths old when we found out #2 was on the way and was 16 months when his brother was born. Now, after 3 months, it's brilliant! I've had a couple of really stressful days when I've even rung my husband at work "Just tell me you love me!!" but I can count them on one hand. I found the key was to be supper organised and try to keep to a routine. I now have at least 90 minutes to myself each day when both boys are blissfully sound asleep and I can clean, watch Dr Phil, or just sleep on the couch if that's what I want!

I have a playpen to put the baby in to keep him out of harms way, but more and more he's staying out and his brother is learning how to interact with him. We're already planning #3 to be here in around 14 months.

Good luck, just remember the housework can wait if you need a rest, and don't forget to ask for help if you need it.

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Sounds like your doing sooo well !

Good on you Dette

8 month old

Our two are 18 months apart. It's not as hard as I expected, though I have relied on the tv more than I like to keep the eldest occupied while I feed his brother. Most of the time they seems to like eachother and I think the younger one is progressing a bit faster than his brother did (probably because he wants to catch up).
It is expensive for a while having both in nappies, and we needed to change our pram for one that could take both together. You do have bad days, but my brother was 4 years younger than I was and Mum was always having problems with him wanting to sleep when she needed to take me to kindy. At least we shouldn't have that problem!
I expect they will be good friends and enjoy eachother's company more than if there was a bigger gap.

Best of luck

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

My first three kids were all 2yrs apart but my fourth was 6yrs behind the third, so I've had the best of both worlds. We are now going to try for baby number 5, with isabella only being 6mths old(i think i must be mad). All i can say is It's all up to the individual.

Good luck

jo, kids, 13, 11, 8 & 2yrs

Sorry its taken so long to reply.I am pregnant 12 weeks now and angus is just 10 months old.We are very excited,even more now the morning sickness has started to go away.Have to say i'm shocked with the responses from family and friends,they dont seem to be happy for us,no one has said anything nice,only things like was it planned and are you ok with that.I think its there loss.Even though I do get scared (especially when angus has had a bad day)I know I will love my baby so much that nothing else matters.I hope everything is going well with your pregnancy and with declan.
Sign in to follow this topic