Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

thumb sucking? Rss

my daughter has sucked her thumb from birth. i tried giving her a dummy as it is easier to get rid of but it didn't work. she only sucks it when she is tired and when she falls asleep. once she is asleep she stops. anyone else have a little thumb sucker?

19yr old 1st time mummy to ava born jan 7th 2004

wow!...my baby was lucky to discover he had hands by the time he was 4 months!...smile
even now they surprise him sometimes!...smile

Ava is such a beautiful name, really lovely,

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi my baby is also a sucker of the thumb or finger. I never bought a dummy so this is the next thing. She doesnt suck it going to sleep though, she sucks on her cot sheet! She only sucks it occasionally during the day. Is your baby similar?

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Hi my little boy Jaydhen(4mnths)also sucks his thumb.We too have tried to swap him onto a dummy but does not like it spits it out and goes straight back to his thumb.He only does it when his tired or upset(needle day).Can it do them any damage though?
both my 4 1/2 mth girls have started sucking their thumbs when they are put to bed, i know it is a comfort thing for them, my big concern is if it becomes a long term habit
my 5 1/2 yr old nephew has sucked his thumb so bad he has caused permanent damage to his teeth and jaw line
i can't help but worry about my girls
does anyone have advice with this??

QLD, 2 Sets of Twins

Hi,
Have you tried painting that stuff on thier thumb that stops people biting their finger nails? I can't remember what it is called but it has a bitter taste. Might be a bit of a pain to keep applying though.
Thumb sucking can cause a lot of damage to their teeth (will cause them to stick out ) and upper palate. If it does persist once thier permanent teeth are through, there is an appliance an orthodontist (the ones that do braces) can make. They wear it for a short amount of time and I have seen many kids stop once they have had this. I would advise you try to do all you can to stop it before then though (if only to save you the cost involved!).
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

Hi
My 18mth old has a dummy for bed time but only uses it when upset, while my 3mth old also has a dummy when upset or suffering form tummy pains. As for the thumb sucking, I was one, until a VERY late age. It can cause damage to front teeth but that all depends on how hard the sucking is. I used to basically just have it in my mouth but never sucked hard so my teeth are fine. Others have also found that it can deform the thumb or finger sucked, and cause calluses on the thumb. The main thing I see, as a teacher, is kids who suck their thumb all day long, not just when tired or upset. It's amazing how many there are. They can be the brunt of many jokes when school starts.

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Hi

I also ahve a thumb sucker. My little girl started sucking her thumb at 3 months. I tried to stop it as my sister was a thumb sucker, not sure if she still is, and my partners sister also, she had surgery this year to align her jaw.

I tried giving her a dummy which she continued to spit out and also tried puttinga sock on her hand. I gave up cos i thought it cruel to cover her hand and she only does it when she is tired and to put herself to sleep. If it causes damage to her teeth then i guess i'll just deal with it when the time comes because i can't see her giving it up atm. Also with the nail stuff that tastes gross. My mum tried that with my sister and at first she didn't like it, but then she got used to the taste and continued sucking.

On the bright side i met a woman one day that told me her son was also a thumb sucker but he gave it up when he turned 2. Also i think it looks cute.

Cassie

Cassie,NSW, Blair 27/9/01, Mackenzie 19/5/04

Sign in to follow this topic