Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Dummies Lock Rss

Hi I know its been a while since the last post but i'd just like to add that my daughter who is nearly 1 has had a dummy since she was about a week old and she is still reliant on it to go to sleep although we have restricted the use of it to bed time only.
My friends daughter who is 2 and a half was still having a dummy up until christmas when her mum put it under the christmas tree and told her santa would take it away and give it the babies who were crying and didnt have one, she no longer has one and accepts that it is gone. Maybe we will try that next christmas!!

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

I was the same with dummies. I used a dummy with my duaghter at first as it would settle her and then would help her get to sleep. But by the time she got to 5 months old she had become too reliant on it to help her get to sleep and would wake in the night for me to go and stick the dummy back in to get her back to sleep. I always had to make sure I had a dummy when we went out so one in the car, pram etc and would stress if I had forgotten to take one out.
So we decided to go cold turkey on the dummy. It was the best thing we could have done although I was really worried about it. I felt so free that I didn't have to worry about taking one with me everywhere. And she now sleeps through the night without waking up and she is much happier during the day and she goes to sleep by herself.
When we went cold turkey we just let her cry to sleep and just made sure we weren't going to give her the dummy. It was suggested to put a hole in the teat with a needle so when they suck on it it doesn't do anything for them.
She now doesn't remember what the dummy was and just plays with them like any toy.
I'm glad I used the dummy to start with but am glad I got rid of it when I did as people say it is a lot harder when they get older, and we all sleep well now!

Gail, NT, Elia 16/05/03, Hamish 23/11/05

Sign in to follow this topic