Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. just a random stupid question

just a random stupid question Lock Rss

a friend of mine made my daughter a gorgeous duvet (i think its called a doona in australia) cover and then went shopping and realised they dont make duvets for babies! does anyone have any idea why this is? is it because of allergies or something?

mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

they actually do make cot sized doonas, i used to work at babyco and they stocked them, i dont know if they would post to nz but you could look on their web site or contact them......another suggestion would be to buy a cot set and just put the cover on the doona that you get with that...........
hope this helps.....

zoe,vic,mumof3

You can get doona inserts for cots from Spotlight. God knows whether you have one in NZ. They are fairly light... do you know anyone here in Ozzieland who can buy one and post it to you?
Hiya,

I have seen them on some NZ Website & in a shop before, possibly Spotlight, or the Baby Factory might be able to order them?
These were some websites I managed to find again:
http://www.rechargeablebatteries.co.nz/bedcomforters.htm
http://shop.ballantynes.co.nz/59/group/99/page/1/style/8001848
I hope that helps
Cheers, Arna

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

Baby companies seem to have gone out of things such as cot bumpers and quilts because of the SIDS risk if kids get stuck under them. Also, doonas can be quite hot and kids can overheat under them. I hunted around for a cot bumber and found one on a website called jumping jack flash.
They dont recommend doonas for babies as it is one of those high risk things re sids. It can easily slip up and also causes over heating. A baby cant kick it off when too hot like an older toddler can. Cot bumpers are also a big no no as are pillows for babies.
I would just tell your friend to leave the doona thing till bubs is older or use it as a playmat.
thanks everyone for your replies and advice.
my friend has since given ella some gorgeous embroidered sheets instead and she can use the duvet cover when she is bigger.
could you please explain to me what a cot bumper is? are they the things you tie along the bars of the cot to stop them getting arms or legs stuck? (call me stupid i've just never heard of them! tongue)
thanks
mel

Yup, thats exactly what they are. Not stupid at all. You never know till you ask.
hmm, i have 2 of them! one has toys and mirrors etc on and one just plain. do you know why they are a no no?

my understanding as to why they are not recommended is that they can stop the air flow around baby when they are asleep - not good for sids .. aswell as when baby is able to stand and pull themself up on the cot it could assist them to be taller and use it to step on before falling out of the cot.. hope this helps xoxo
once B was about 8 months we had to get a bumper as he was getting stick in the bars everynight, I was recently thinking of taking them out the cot cos he seemed to be fine and guess who got stuck in the cot bars.

Don't be so petrified of sids that you stop using helpful things in your life. Do read up on things (and ask lots of silly questions) but you may find with somethings the pros outweigh the cons

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Another option to consider if the SIDS issues concern you is a baby sleeping bag! I also had the problem of my son getting his legs caught between the cot bars and I considered cot bumpers but instead opted to use a baby sleeping bag. This means he can't get his legs out between the bars (and it also keeps him warm at night as he can't kick of the sleeping bag like he does blankets - I make sure he is not to warmly dressed though as I don't want him over heating).

Sign in to follow this topic