Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

baby's first fall Lock Rss

I had my first bad experience today with my nearly 6 month old daughter falling from the pram. I'm very worried that she may have hurt herself although she only cried for about 30 seconds and i mainly think it's because of my screams!!!!!! Is there anything I should be looking for in the next few days to make sure that she is ok and is there anything I should do? Please help!!!!!

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

you could mention it to your GP or MHCN if you are worried, so they can look your baby girl over, it is so scary when they fall over, but apparently the best sign that they are okay is that they cry out, if your child became limp or was unconcious straight after the fall, then you would need to see a GP immediately for assistance,

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Thanks Helena.... We've been keeping a good eye on her and she's behaving as normal.... We've also been told to watch for very vigorous vomiting etc.... We have an appointment with her paediatrician on Fri so I'll get him to check her out.... We didn't see her fall so we're not sure if she hit her head hard or not..... Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see....
Cya

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

its horrible when it happens isn't it?
my daughter fell off the couch the first time and i was hysterical even though it was onto carpet and only about 40 cms!
like you i think she cried more because of my crying than being hurt herself.
apparently because they dont put up resistence to falling eg putting out their arms or being rigid when they fall they are less likely to get hurt but it does pay to watch them closely afterwards.
check her head movements, side to side up and down by moving a toy in front of her. also check her eye movements by moving a finger or toy in the same way. (my mother told me this after ella's fall)
hope you're both feeling better!
mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

Hi...
I know exactly how your feeling...
The same thing happend to Isabella on monday morning. She fell out of her pram while i was upstairs getting ready. I thought she was asleep until I heard a big bang and then a cry. I flew downstairs and saw my princess on her belly crying! I started to cry too but as soon as hubby put her infront of the mirror she was fine and happy as if nothing happend! (she loves playing infront of the mirror)!!
I was so upset at myself for not strapping her in while in her pram. I just thank god that she is fine and it wasnt a serious fall.

Im sure your little one will be fine, if you are still worried see your GP.

nsw...5 1/2 month old boy....4yr old girl

Hi....
I was also very upset with myself for not strapping her becuase it only takes a second to do..... My little one loves the mirror too and my hubby did the same thing as urs and the little one was smiling away..... It was really pleasing to see but I'm still worried.....

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

Hi
Just check all her limbs move normally as well. My sister asked me one day if i noticed her daughter had a slight limp. She did, so her mum took her to the doctors. She had a broken leg! No big falls, nothing major, no crying outbursts, so it's still a mystery. They think she may have got it when she was gently lowered down an incline (she was running around a farm with her 3 big sisters) and then dropped (again gently!!) the last 50cm. She gave a little cry but stopped at soon as her 12 yo sister gave her a hug. She had been limping for about a week, and the bone was starting to mend by itself! My sister couldn't forgive herself for ages, especially when she lookes at her 14 month old in a plaster cast!!!

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Hi My DD had a fall from the pram at roughly the same age and it was horrible.She just was screaming and wouldnt take a breath to the point where her eyes where rolling in her head. No amount of me blowing in her face would bring her out of it.
the doc told me that with head injuries the hospital would just monitor them for 4 hrs then send them home. and the rolling of the eyes was her just on the verge of fainting.

the worst thing we can do though is to pick them up after a fall. it is just natural instinct to pick up and comfort your child, but we should first check for any suss injuries as we could just make them worse.

hope your little one is doing okay.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi prasangi

My daughter suffered a very similar experience a little while ago.

When she was 5 weeks old (she is now 3 1/2 months now) she fell from a height of about a meter high onto concrete tiles. I just remember hearing a thump and looking over to where she was..and she wasnt there anymore. Just seeing my baby girl all curled up not making a sound was like someone tearing my heart out'. She too didnt cry for very long. I instantly put cold water on her head and kept her awake as she kept falling asleep, while I phoned a parent helpline (I didnt have access to a vehicle to go to the hospital, at the time). Lucky enough, a taxi company agreed to take us on a taxi without a car seat as it was an emergency. The doctors monitored her at the hospital and about 4 hours later they let us go home. I just couldnt believe it! She was a tough little survivor and still to this day I dont know how she did it. She was so tiny and fragile at the time.

Anyway, over the next few days she suffered from headaches and was a bit grizzly. I also kept a good eye on her during her sleep in case of a change.

Your daughter may not want to feed as much so make sure that she is getting lots of fluids. And just smuther her with lots of love, cuddles and kisses!! Oh, and one other thing I always watched for was if she would smile. My girl was a very smiley baby before her accident so to me that was her way of telling me she was o.k!!
Thank you all for the great advice.... I have checked my baby's limbs, head movement, eye movement etc and thankfully all is ok....

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

Sign in to follow this topic