Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Brushing Teeth Lock Rss

Hi there, I have just brought my son his first Toothbrush and would like some ideas on how others have introduced 'brushing teeth' to their children - including the use of toothpaste.
i've just started brushing my daughters too. she is very interested in watching me brush mine so i do mine first in front of her and then we do hers. she loves it but sticks her tongue out when shes had enough.
mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

Hi,

whenever i brush my teeth i take my daughter with me she thinks its funny and laughs (shes only 7 months).

i bought her her own toothbrush and give it to her to munch on, then when shes older at 1 or 2 and can have toothpaste hopefully she will be used to what happens.

dental care is so important especially in young children and its never to early to start.

aimee

Aimee, 4 year old princess

Hi, As an ex dental nurse i started to introduce a toothbrush with Alysha when she was around 7 months. (It was something i was very focused on) I would put it in the bath with her. As she got older she would watch me brush my teeth so once I was finished i would wash my toothbrush out and give it to her so she could brush hers. Most of the time she only really wanted to brush mine. She is now 13 months old and every night she hops in the bath i give her her toothbrush and alittle kids toothpaste and she brushes away. She does brush but mostly sucks the toothpaste and says yum yum!
Just alittle advice which i am sure you already know don't give your son adult toothpaste because he will get too much fluoride.

Nerida Vic mum to Alysha Holly

Nerida,

just a question for you since you were a dentalnurse when do you give a child baby toothpaste? how many months or years do they need to be?

sorry to answer a question directed at someone else but i know that the colgate or macleans toothpastes for babies are reccomended in very tiny amounts from one year old.
my daughter is 11 months though and i am using it for her already as my chn told me it was alright.
she also told me that it is good to let them practice brushing their own teeth but to give them a last scrub yourself, as a child is not able to properly brush their own teeth until about 7 years old.

mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

Hi Aimee, I would start at about 12 months with toothpaste. In saying that it doesn't really matter if you don't use it at all. It probably just encourages bubs to brush because the paste tastes nice. The toothpaste really doesn't do that much. Hope that helps.

Nerida Vic mum to Alysha Holly

thanks !!!!

aimee

Sign in to follow this topic