Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Choking...! Lock Rss

Hello Everyone,

I have recently experienced my 15 week old baby girl choking on her own saliva, this has happened on three seperate occasions, and as you can imagine it was a pretty scarey ordeal, once whilst she was laying down on her play mat and twice whilst sitting in her bouncer.

I'm guessing that there is not much I can do about it, but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it themself? and if so, how you may have dealt with it...

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Kris

woohoo we did it!

Hey Kris,
Gemma has done the choking sounds when I feed her (I think its cause she doen't like her meat meals tho!) and scares the absolute bejesus out of me. I can't whip the tray and unharness her quick enough! When we did our swim lessons a little boy started choking on the water and his mum patted him on the back. We were then advised that if a baby ever chokes, don't do that as it pushes the obstruction down even further into the windpipe. We were told to place bub head slightly down from the rest of body and then give a few firm pats. She showed us by balancing a baby, torso and legs along arm with head in her hands. Thank god she showed us as I always instinctively pat Gemma on the back if she makes a choke / cough sound!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

G'day Tanya,

Thanks for your reply.

Hey, I'm with you I would'nt have known that either if you had'nt have told me... cheers. smile

Kris

woohoo we did it!

Hi Kris....

I know how you feel cos isabella was doing the same thing at that age, and like you was scared and didnt know what to do, all I did do though was pick her up and then she seemed to be fine. It was just a phase she went through and lasted about 2 weeks.
I have always been afraid something will happen that has to do with choking so I did a first-aid course a couple of weeks ago, and boy do I feel better!! The thought of not knowing what to do in any type of emergency that involved bella really sat on my mind for ages and thats when I decided to do the course. Highly recommed it!
Anyway good luck and let us know how she goes.

nsw...5 1/2 month old boy....4yr old girl

G'day Isabella's Mum,

Thanks for your reply.

I had thought about doing a first aid course, but the idea just kinda, well, went away.

However you have just prompted me to consider it again, when I was 7 months pregnant, we got a puppy, we had only had her for a couple of weeks (she must have been about 9 weeks old then). I was home alone this day, and she choked on the last bit of her denture bone (of course I have'nt given her one since), anyway, this scared the absolute *.;'# out of me, and being pregnant did'nt help, I ended up getting it out, thank goodness... my point being, first aid course, a great idea... so...!

May I ask you, who did you do your course with?

Cheers, Kris

woohoo we did it!

Hi Kris...
It was with St John Ambulance, and I did it on my own as hubby was looking after Isabella, the class is usually up to 24 people but were only 9 people on that day...

Let me know if you need any other info!!

Yeah me again Isabella's Mum,

Can you tell me please, was it expensive? and how long does it go for?

Cheer's, Kris

woohoo we did it!

Hey...

It was $80 and i booked it online. I live in Wollongong so it was only a few minute drive from home.
It went from 8.30am to 4.00pm, on a Saturday normally it would go to 5pm but there were only 9 in the class.
The one I did was for children from 0-8years.

Thanks very much Isabella's Mum,

I'll be looking into that!!!

Kris

woohoo we did it!

Hi Kris,

Just some info for you, I have recently read that little ones produce alot of saliva when they start to teeth or are teething, thus it causes gagging - not too nice hey and something I have to look forward to - YAY.

Hope this helps put you at ease a little
Take Care
Abbis mum
Hi Abbis Mum,

Thankyou for your reply.

I too had also heard this, I have been keeping an eye out in there, but I have'nt noticed anything as yet... Let's hope Charlie does'nt have too much discomfort.

How old is your little one?

Kris

woohoo we did it!

Hi Again,

My little girl is 16 weeks - born 18/01/05 - she has just started solids and is a pretty happy kid - when her colic is not playing up!!. She has always been a fairly good sleeper but the first two days on solids she slept 7 - 7, she woke about two times lastnight for some reason or another (Gee it puts you out when they do that) - I think once they sleep thru you expect they should do it every night. Not TOO much to ask is it?

Is Charlie teething yet ? Abbi is starting to put everything in her mouth - but i think it may be more of a discovery thing at the moment.

Well take care,
Abbis Mum WA
Sign in to follow this topic