Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

DRINKINGWATER Rss

Hi to all you mums out there, this is my first time on line. My name is Cherie and I have a 6 month baby girl called Paige. Every new thing is a learning curve with little bubs and today with the hot weather in Melbourne, I am seeking advice about how to get bubby to drink water.

I have heard it is very important for bubs to drink water and I have been trying for a few months now but she just spits it out. Today I tried a little tiny bit of orange juice, but still no luck. Can any of you give me any other tips I might be able to try. I understand that cordial and other sweet drinks are no good for them, so what is a new mum suppose to do!

HELP ANYONE!
Kind Regards
Cherie

Cherie, Melbourne, 6 month baby girl 06/03.

Hi Cherie,

I have exactly the same problem with my 7mth old son. He will drink a few sips but nothing more. Today I gave him water on a spoon and that was quite successful. Not the ideal way to drink but at least he got fluids. I also freeze watered down baby juice from the supermarket (it is already watered down, but I put more water with it). He will eat the ice shavings, but after a while it gets too cold for him. Also, out of desperation yesterday I watered down tinned baby strained pears and fed him that when he wouldn't drink water. I offer him water after each solids feed and gradually he is drinking more as he gets used to it, but still not enough. Hope these ideas help.

GOOD LUCK

Danielle

Danielle, 28, Vic, 1st son born 2/6/03

Hi Cherie,
Jack was 7 or 8 months before he started to drink water properly. Before that, my health nurse told me to add 10 or 20mls to his formula. Apparantly If you breastfeed you should offer them extra feeds.
I give Jack water after every meal and in between now. But I do remember how hard it was at first.
I only give 100mls of fruit juice a day. More than that can give them constipation, and not good for there teeth. Fruit juice has to be diluted 50/50 or less, but I buy the golden circle that is ready to drink.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Cherie,
Try adding a quarter teaspoon of brown sugar to 150 mls of boiled cooled water. As you baby starts to drink and get used to the taste of water, decrease the amount of sugar you put in until bubs is having no sugar at all. I did this with all three of my kids, and they are big water drinkers today. My 8 month old drinks over half a litre of water a day, plus 125 mls of golden circle baby juice, plus approx 750 mls of milk per day. Try to decrease the sugar, so that you are not adding it at all after about 1 week. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hello Danielle,

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. Just yesterday for the first time, I decided to make the water alot warmer. Yes I had success, Paige drank a little more water than usual...................but only to vomit a little not long after.

I will not give up though, a little at a time and after each solid feed as you mentioned.
Thanks again.
Cherie

Hello Tracey,

Thankyou for getting back to me. Wow three kiddies, I thought one was a handful. You seem to really know what you are talking about, plenty of experience hey....he he he. I will definitely give the sugar a go and buy some golden circle baby juice.

Paige did drink a little more water after I warmed it up more than usual, so I'll just keep trying.

Thanks again.
Cherie

Hi Michelle,

Thankyou kindly for your advice, everyone has been so helpful. I am so glad I logged onto this site. Mothers know best......he he.

Kind Regards
Cherie

Hi Cherie, I over looked my post to you and I said fruit juice can give constipation, I meant the runs!
I havent had much sleep lately!!

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Cherie,

I have the same problem with Ella (6months), she doesnt like to drink water but i got her one of those tumbler cups for little hands with the non spill sippy thing and she thinks its a blast playing with that and actually drinks from it...

Also my child health nurse said if all else fails and its really hot if baby wont drink water then add a really small amount of fruit juice or cordial to the water to sweeten it a little.

Bel

Belinda, WA, lovely baby girl

Hi Belinda,

So you too have a lovely baby girl at 6 months and with a very gorgeous name, I might add. I too have tried her with the tumbler but she doesn't seem to get the idea that she has to suck from it as it too is a not spill cup.

I took Danielles advice and started giving it to her on a spoon and she seems to take that no problem. I don't mind doing that for the moment to make sure she gets her fluids but I don't want the cheeky girl to get too use to that.

I did try a little orange juice in the water but she spat that out also, I might try her with some diluted cordial as I too heard that could be the answer.

Sometimes I think these little ones know exactly what they are doing and says to herself I just want mummy to spoon feed me.........ha ha.

Thanks for your advice
Cherie

Hi, try adding a little apple juice to the water and do warm it up a little. My boy is 5 months and we live in Cairns and he drinks 125ml of water every day as well as extra breastfeeds. I know he likes the NUK teats, med flow the best if that helps. He uses a cup as well. If you're buying juice buy the Heinz brand as it is GE free and Golden circle isn't. Nobles water is a bottled water availaable from woolies and it is UV treated and the best too as boiling doesn't always kill guardia.

Good luck.
Hi Cherie,
When I first introduced Ella to water, I always tried to give it at room temp or just luke warm. Keep persisting with it, she will eventually get the hang of the water soon.
My baby is now 12 months old and loves water. She drinks 5 cups a day and thankfully hates fruit juice of any kind, no matter how watered down it is.
Good luck and like anything to do with babies...keep up the patience!!

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Sign in to follow this topic