Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Hard choice - return to work or not???

Hard choice - return to work or not??? Lock Rss

I am having a really hard time deciding if i should return to work or not.

There are so many things i am worried about eg relying on a relative to look after my bub 2days a week long term (I think it may be asking a lot of this person), because day care is too expensive. Also im still getting up to bubs twice during the night and will have to wake at 6am to get ready to get to work on time. I just dont know if its going to be worth the extra little bit of money we will get as he is still only 4 1/2mths old, but work wants me back in the next couple of weeks.

Please let me know if you have returned to work and how you felt about it and if you feel it was a good or bad choice or if you decided not to return and why???

Thanks

Jesse 27/03/05 Kynan 19/07/07 Amber 12/03/09

I am returning to work on monday. I kept putting the idea off, but knew I had to go back, DH has just started a new career and isn't on enough for us to survive. I have to put bubs into day care because it would be akward to send him to my mums all the time and personally I don't want to do it too her and I know if I really need her she will be there.
Make sure you do your sums. Its going to cost me around $100 per week to work three days (day care and petrol). With what I earn I estimate we will be around $100 better off than if I stayed home and got both family tax benifits. Me working isn't going to change our ft A.
Also I have the luxury to work at an odd time. I am doing afternoon shifts so I stay with bubs in the morning and he goes to day care in the afternoon where dad will pick him up. I plan to start my hours slowly and extend my finishing times as I get more confident in hubbies ability to settle/feed bubs.
Bubs is 8 months, I know its a hard decision you don't want to miss anything, there is nothing like the feeling of being a mother and caring for a baby, they are a part of you.
Another good idea is to test yourself first don't separate yourself from bubs and go to work the same time. Give bubs to the carer for a few days the weeks before going to work, you don't really want to be a blubbering mess at work (lol)?
Also don't look at it as a trap I plan to reasses our situation in a few months to see if it is worth it. Hopefully next year I'll get pregnant again, then I get to stay home!!!
Goodluck and don't rush the decision.

Jeninne, WA, Bradyn 24/11/04, #2 Ryan 01/12/06

Sign in to follow this topic