Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

To work or not to work? Lock Rss

I'm looking for some opinions on going back to work. The situation is:

I worked full time in an office in a professional role until I became a Mum. Then I took a year's maternity leave on the basis that I returned full time. After three months I started doing some work from home and going into the office one day a week.

In April I'm due to go back full time but I've decided that I don't want to as I really love spending time with my baby and feel I would really miss out on too much if I did. My husband has said I don't have to go back and we'll make ends meet on his salary.

The dilemma is that I have had an offer of a part time job - they are happy to have me there only two full days BUT it is only a temporary position for six months to fill in during someone's maternity leave. They may be able to offer me work after that but its not certain. They want me to start next month so I'll be working there till the end of May.

So, do I take the leap and accept the part time job knowing that it will end in May (I'm a pessimist so I can't rely on it extending) OR do I carry on working part time at my current job till April and then talk to them about staying part time? If they don't agree I can quit that job and all I've lost is two months work (April and May) but I have to find another job at that point!!

Any ideas and opinions? My husband is away for work for a few days so I can't talk to him about it and I know its going to keep me awake all night!!!

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hmm, well I guess u could base your decision on which job/type of work u will enjoy the most (as it will have to be pretty good to keep u away from bub!). U never know what's going to happen in the future, so just pretend they're all a given and then pick which one u like. Or maybe u could discuss with your current employer? I don't think there's anything wrong with telling them early that u don't want to come back fulltime, or just sussing out the possibility for permanent part-time? At least if u feel them out, u will know what to tell the other people ...
Sorry I cant be more helpful - I really believe you should trust your gut feeling, and go with which one 'feels right' - everything happens for a reason wink Can I ask what type of work u do?

Sherri, mum to Ella Bella Baby Bear ~ 21.01.05

By the sounds of it you are very capable and obvioulsy good at what you do to be offered another job. I agree - go with what makes you happy as you will have other opportunities.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

i agree - go with the job you lik ethe sound of best. Def go with the idea the second job is tempory. As your hubby is keen for you to stop all together maybe tell teh first place if they cant accoomadate what youwant (get it all in writing) then you will leave now (and then you can take the other job)

Dont stress about it babe sounds like you have some excellent options that many mummies would be happy to have smile

Good luck

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Sign in to follow this topic