Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

sick while breastfeeding Rss

My daughter is almost 7mths and is on 3 solid meals and 3 breastfeeds a day. At the moment we are both sick with a pretty yukky cold. Can I take cold and flu tablets while I am breastfeeding? I know panadol is OK, but not sure about the pseudoephedrine (is that how you spell it?) they put in the cold tablets. It would certainly help me to sleep at night, but I don't want to take anything if its unhealthy for her.
Hi Erika,
Hope you're feeling better. I'm not sure for sure but I don't think you're supposed to take cold and flu tablets when you're breastfeeding. If you live in Adelaide there is a number you can call to ask about medications that are appropriate for babies and when breastfeeding. Let me know if you would like the number.
Hi Erika,
You are not meant to take cold and flu tablets containing pseudoephedrine whilst breastfeeding at least that is what my doctor told me. If you are in Sydney you can ring the Westmead Childrens Hospital and they can put you through to a help line that should be able to confirm this and hopefully recommend something esle. I took garlic horseradish and vitamin c tablets whilst breastfeeding and found them to be a great help, I also used Lemsips which worked wonders. Though once again if you aren't sure seek help, even a Chemist should be able to help. I hope you both are feeling better soon.

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

Hi Erika,
It's the pits, but you're not supposed to take anything except panadol when you are breastfeeding and it certainly makes it harder to get rid of those awful colds, etc. I know. Talk to your chemist, they are the drug experts. I talk to my local chemist about what I can use or my baby can use all the time. They are very helpful. You can try a sodium/salt spray for nasal congestion. Or stick your head over a bowl of steaming water or stand in the shower to relieve the sinuses.
Sign in to follow this topic