Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. breastfeeding and going to the gym...

breastfeeding and going to the gym... Lock Rss

Hey everyone,
I've just joined a gym and they've told me that I can't exercise too much because I am still breastfeeding. Aparently it has something to do with too much lactic acid. However I've done a little research and it says that lactic acid buildup doensn't effect bub's ability to feed or milk production. Is anyone else going to the gym and been told this? Or has anyone had experiences with milk production stopping due to exercise? I feel like I'm not getting a decent work out, but don't want to jeopardise my ability to feed bub.

Sam and Hayley and bub

I have had a problem with losing my milk due to too much exercise. I spoke to my OBGYN and he said it is recommended that you can walk everyday, but cut cardio down to twice a week or just do toning exercises.
I do know of people that haven't lost their milk, but their babies stopped feeding from the mothers because the lactic acid doesn't make the milk taste very nice and the babies will reject the milk.
I don't know about the lactic acid sorry but personally I couldn't do aerobics while BFing cause my boobs would hurt too much when jumping around. I did low impact exercise like spinning classes, walking or yoga whilst BFing. I didn't find doing these affected my milk supply.
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

hi samantha

I have a treadmill at home and i too was breastfeeding my daughter. The days that i jogged on the treadmill, i felt my milk supply to be very less, which in turn made my daughter to be hungry and cranky and not sleeping properly. So what i did was, i totally stopped doing any jogging till i weaned her off breastmilk (when she turned 1 year). Now she is 14 months and on cow's milk and i'm back at the gym doing everything that i want to do - i have yet 3 kilos to lose though to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I think i would agree with what the instructors in the gym told u - it does make sense. I too was told that milk supply would go down if i did too much cardio - and to be honest, i felt that happen everytime i jogged on the treadmill - i could tell when my baby would be feeding, she was not getting enough of milk. Maybe just walking on the treadmill at a decent speed should be okay. Good luck.

mumof2

Hi Hayley's mum,

My little girl is 7 months old and I am breastfeedin her twice a day (the rest of it is with formula) more for a comfort thing rather than a full feed for her. I have been hitting the gym for the past 5 weeks now, I go 3 to 4 times a week where I do weights and cardio. I am not too sure about what my supply is doing, however I have read that your supply could go either way in decreasing or increasing with exercise. I joined the gym as I had had enough of feeling flabby and weak with loss of muscle tone. I guess it depends how much your baby is breast feeding, I mean is it her main source of nutrition or is she having formula , solids etc...I guess you could also ask the personal trainers at the gym or other qualified staff also about the supply issue. Perhaps the GP of the health nurse about it. Good luck and here's to getting back into shape!

SJ
Sign in to follow this topic