Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. How many days a week do you work?

How many days a week do you work? Lock Rss

I will be returning to work in June but am unsure how many days to go back to.

I know it is an individual choice but wondered whether there was a common number that mums were working.

Such a hard decision to make, and know that home, bubs, hubby and myself will all cope with.

Your thoughts are appreciated
Hi

I am going back one day a week in June. My parents will look after the boys on that day.

For me going back to work is to keep my skills up in my profession (as I am a town planner and this industry constantly changes) moreso than financial so one day a week allows me to do this yet still be mainly at home with the boys while they are babies. Doing one day a week also means I get to take virtually all my pay home also which is an added adv (cause keeping annual income close to tax free threshold).

If I feel the boys would benefit from a day in childcare next year when Jayden is 15mths + I will return to work 2 days a week then (one day with my parents the other in childcare). I only plan to work a max of two days a week till both boys are in school and then work school hours when they are.

they're my plans anyway to give you an idea smile

Some things to consider when making your decision is work out how much you will bring home in your hand depending on the nubmer of days you work, minus childcare expenses. Good luck with your decision.

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

hi..im back at work have been for about 6 weeks..been doing 3 days aweek 12hrs...my liittle boy stays at home home with his dad...he works arvo shift.....
My DD has just turned 6 months old and I went back to work about 4 weeks ago. I only work on my husbands days off which is anywhere between one and three days per week. This works out great as DD gets days with both mum and dad.

Emily 25/10/05

hi dark and stormy how r u?
my ds is 10 and a half mths and i went back to work wen he woz 5mths old.
its very hard at first but once u go a couple of times its ok i still keep in contact with mil throughout the day and partner lets me know 2.i work thur nights and sundays and sometimes do a few extra days over the school hols or if someone takes time off.i hate leaving him especially if he is having a bad day but its good to get away at the same time.
I work 3 days a week at the moment (22.5hrs). Come the 1st of July I start back full-time 36.5hrs). I am looking forward to the extra cash but I am so going to miss the 4 day "weekend" with my girls but it has to be done cause we have a mortage now.
I'm lucky cause my Mum looks after my babies and refuses to have them put in childcare. I pay her so she has a little extra for herself...
My baby is now 11 months old and my other daughter is nearly 4 and I do casual teaching. Last term I worked 3 and a half days a week which I found too much as I really missed the girls. On the days I was home I had to spend so much time catching up on the house work. In the end I had had enough and my 3 year old had had enough too. I applaud any mothers who work longer than that and still keep up with the house work and spend a lot of quality time with their children.

ayla (4 months), jordan(4yrs), maddys(7yrs)

Hi to all the working mums out there!!

I have been enjoying reading the posts as I just returned to work yesterday after nearly 12 mths off. It has been a huge decision however at the end of the day we have financial commitments and myincome will really help out. I am working 19 hours a week, 2 and half days so should be a good balance. I too work in a profession whereby I need to use my skills and the industry is constantlychanging and I do enjoy working in some capacity. But it is really hard to leave Harry, I have a great Child care centre where my 5 yrold went and he will do 1.5 days in Cc and 1 day a week with grandma so best of both worlds.

You really need to be organised I find but there are so many positives to working as well as being a mum, if you can do both is a challenge but very rewarding

Good luck, Lianne

SA mum, Lis 17/6/00 and Harry 19/6/05

Sign in to follow this topic