Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. 5 breastfeeds a day no period can i still fall pregnant?

5 breastfeeds a day no period can i still fall pregnant? Rss

my periods still have not returned and my daughter is 5 months. She has roughly 5 breastfeeds a day. My husband and i are not using any form of contraception is there a chance that i could fall pregnant again?
Hi,
How lucky are you for not getting a period. This is usually the case when you breastfeed your baby exclusively and no bottles. I fed my last two babies and never got a period back until I finished completely. I am pretty sure that you could still fall pregnant but don't quote me on that. I went on the pill again the one you can have when you breastfeed just to be on the safe side as I can fall pregnant very easily. I am now having the 3 monthly injection that stops you fropm ovulating and you have no period either. If you are unsure on what to do go back and see your doctor and ask what chances there are and what form of contraceptives maybe you could use.
I hope this helps.
Charmaine

Hi! Yes, you can still get pregnant! Apparently, for breastfeeding to be used as a contraceptive effectively, you need to feed at least every 4 hours - which means it wont be effective if your baby sleeps through the night. Even so, after all this, it's not 100% effective! When I was breastfeeding, I was on the mini pill. I found i had a decreased production of milk at night, and i wasnt sure if it was cos of the pill, so I went off it, but still breastfed when I could - about 4 feeds a day, and I fell pregnant! I suppose it just depends on how you feel about the situation to what you do about it. If you adamantly dont want to be pregnant, then maybe you should see about alternative contraception - just my opinion. If however you are like me, and wouldnt mind a lovely surprise - go on as you are. However, that's just my opinion. Obviously, you dont need to do what I say!

Kerrie

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

I breastfeed my daugther who is 10 months old and I got told that you can still fall pregnant even if you are still breastfeeding and the only protection that we use is the comdons and the mini pill just make sure that we dont have another straight away. With the periods I havent had some them since I have been breastfeeding and I got told they came back when you have stop breastfeeding.

But if you arent sure ask your GP about the situation

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Breastfeeding is approx 90% accurate as a contraceptive, if you are consistently feeding. One thing I kept in mind is that you have to ovulate before you get a period, so you potentially can fall preg - even though you haven't got your periods back. I have known a few women that fell preg within 3 months of giving birth, although fully breast feeding. Having said and known that, we didn't use any contraceptive until I got my first (and only) period back when DD was 10 months old. We were happy at that stage to take the risk, although now, I'm glad we didn't fall as keen to have a few years between kids.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic