Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Wanting to work but partner doesn't want me to!

Wanting to work but partner doesn't want me to! Rss

Hey girls,
I have a very frustrating problem at the moment. I have just been offered by my DJ friend to work Friday and Saturday nights at a few nightclubs, and I really want to take up this job offer for extra money for our family and upcoming wedding. But my partner doesn't want me to! I'm not sure if it's that he wants to be the 'breadwinner', or because it's a job I would love, or less time for him and us, or even that I will be working with guys and he gets very jealous! I have tried talking to him about it, but it always seems to end up in an argument. Does anyone at all have any tips for getting my partner to understand what this job really means to me? Or am I being selfish and disrespectful by not doing what he wants? Please help me! I am at my wits end with this! xoxox
I would definitely keep working at why he doesn't want you to do this job. There has to be a reason for it. Is it that he just doesn't want to babysit the kids?

I don't think you are being selfish on this, after all you don't want the money just for yourself, you want to share it with your family, so that's not being selfish.
I think its probably a combination of all those things. I think there is a great deal of pressure on both parents regarding whether mum works, or stays at home. You may not ever get him to admit what is behind it, especially if it is some-thing more sensitive like his need to be the big tough provider or jelousy.

Hmm - as for tips. Can you approach it that you want to give it a trial? Maybe you can not talk so much about the fun side of the job (it does sound fantastic) and concentrate more on you - like your desire to contribute financially (feel worthy, participate in society etc).

I think some-times you have to be a bit delicate and even calulated in how you approach this when a mans ego is on the line. I think some-times the trick is to make the man feel like it was his idea - lol. Best of luck, I hope you do it - sounds like a great opportunity.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic