Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

persistant inlaws-what can i do? Lock Rss

i breastfeed my 5 month old girl and i dont know how many times my mother in law has tried to get me to put her on formula...i have said NO so many times and just will not accept it. Im also made to feel bad because at 6 weeks old i did not get her ears pierced. i say no to things but the same questions keep arising. not only that but my daughter does not seem to like her much and we go there for dinner every monday night. As soon as we are in the door she screams her head off...what should i do?

Hi mg21,

I cannot believe that your MIL could be so 'out of line'. She has no right to tell you what to do - and on things like how you choose to feed your baby... and something like ear-piercing which is completely up to the parents and/or child!!

I don't have the same problem... quite the opposite my MIL doesn't have much to do with us... but we go over to my parents place for dinner every weekend... and I have had to say 'no' to a few things like mum always wanting to give Brayden a taste of this and that...

My best advice to you is to sit down with DH and maybe tell him your concerns and have all three of you sit down and really talk about it. I know it's a lot easier said than done as we too need to speak to my parents about a few discipline and other issues before Brayden stays the night there... but I think its the best way...

MIL needs to know that it isn't that you value her any less as a grandmother but that she is a grandmother... and you are your DD's mum. You and your DH are the ones that should be deciding about breastfeeding and ear piercing and everything else... a grandma is such a special role and she needs to embrace what that means... it's about being supportive of you as a mum... and at the moment, she isn't doing that - she needs to.

Sorry for the loooooong post. Hope I've helped in some way. Good luck.

Bye for now.

I would advise you to get your partner to talk to her about this - after all it's his mother. The issue should be between them and he should be prepared to stick up for you.

DS 22 months DD 9 Oct 07

be firm with her
let her know this is your daughter and you are going to raise her the way you want to
if she cannot except that then she had better get used to it
i also have a very extremely interfering MIL
and when she gets to much i yell and she listens
shes not a nice woman at all!!!
xxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Sign in to follow this topic