Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. House is a mess!! how to find time to clean with a baby

House is a mess!! how to find time to clean with a baby Lock Rss

Hi all, well the title pretty much sums it up. I feel im constantly doing dishes, washing clothes, folding, ironing, picking up toys, vacuming, cooking, the list seems endless and each day like groundhog day and still mess everywhere. help!!!!!!! how can i save time with all the chores? Evening dishes often wait till next morning lately. Its like i finish 1 thing and 3 appear.

Hi all, well the title pretty much sums it up. I feel im constantly doing dishes, washing clothes, folding, ironing, picking up toys, vacuming, cooking, the list seems endless and each day like groundhog day and still mess everywhere. help!!!!!!! how can i save time with all the chores? Evening dishes often wait till next morning lately. Its like i finish 1 thing and 3 appear.

I know what you mean, it literally never ends!! I try to take something everytime I leave a room and put it where it's meant to be on my way to the next room- that has helped me. To keep on top of the clothes washing, I put a load on when I go to bed do its ready to go out in the morning, but also don't forgot to recharge and rest- "clock off" house duties at a certain time every night so you don't feel so run down and like a cleaning machine. I try to clock off at night, ignore whatever hadn't been done so I can have some down time and feel fresh for the next days cleaning marathon laugh

It's tough! I'm now convinced that once a child is born your house will never be tidy again! But thats ok, my theory is if it's clean underneath then the mess on top is ok.

Just pace yourself and don't tell yourself anything has to be done or completed that day, you'll end up going to bed cranky or disappointed in yourself and it's really not important enough to feel like that.

The things I do "try" to keep on top of (but it doesn't always work) is the washing, kitchen and bathroom/toilet. I wash everyday and put it away straight off the washing line, I take 1 persons off at a time go to their room fold it and put it away then back to the line for the next persons etc... I get a bit of exercise doing it this way. I also rarely iron! It's too time consuming, these days if it's gonna need ironing I don't buy it! I just iron it straight out of the cupboard if need be. I also try to focus on one room a day or every other day on top of these main jobs. I can't tidy the whole house in one day it just doesn't work!

Don't stress! As long as the house is clean the mess just doesn't matter.

Helenxx
I understand how you feel, I'm having the same problem! I've found that sorting jobs into 'compulsory' (eg washing clothes, doing dishes, sweeping floor etc) and 'if i have time' (eg just about anything else) helps me. I aim to get at least 3 'compulsory' things done per day, so when I get 3 things done, I feel like i've achieved a goal for the day, then anything else that I get done is an added bonus. Looking at cleaning that way helps me feel a bit more positive about things. I've also got one of those baby harnesses that you can strap your baby to you with, which I use a lot when cleaning. I like it because it keeps my Bub happy being close to me, and leaves my hands free to get stuff done. Bub also likes being in his bouncer outside when I'm hanging up my washing....Hope that helps, and good luck! smile
I feel like I've actually finally got on top of it in the last couple weeks, (I'm sure this will change in a couple weeks when number 2 arrives. But I have 2 washing baskets by the entrance to the hallway in the lounge to throw stuff in that shouldn't be in the lounge but still makes its way in there (thanks dd and dp!) make it into a bit of a game with dd, she knows her things go in the pink basket and ours in the green one. and then a couple times a day take it down the other end of the house and unload it, that way I don't feel like I'm doing constant trips putting things away, also finding good storage solutions around the place helps, if the place is a bit muddly even when it is "tidy" it feels like your never getting anywhere. Also writing to do lists, although I've got sort of addicted to them now lol but it sooo helps getting stuff done! even if the place doesn't seem to get any tidyer cause you have a little person following you undoing everything, you still get the satisfaction of getting to tick each job off the list so you know you have actually done something!
I have started writing a list for the day over brekky in the morning, I write down even daily things like make bed and unpack dishwasher and cross things off as I've done it to make it feel like I;m achieving something, I tidy up toys once a day once DS1 gone to bed otherwise you just feel like you're picking up toys all day, I try to pack away clothes straight away (but that said I've got 2 baskets sitting here right now!) It's hard when you do a job and then an hour later it looks like you haven't! (sweeping the floor is the worst of these!)

Oh gosh this is my problem too... my house is permanently a mess sad I really have to force myself to clean it and I'm so tired when I get home from work and have whining kids bla bla bla sad If I didn't have my dishwasher I would be locked up with a straight jacket by now
Sign in to follow this topic