Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Study with a toddler + being pregnant, advice!?

Study with a toddler + being pregnant, advice!? Lock Rss

So I have just enrolled in a diploma course, it is a flexible learning course which allows me to do the theory at home in my own time, online. I need to attend 11 practical weeks (mon-fri) over the course of either 12 or 24 months depending on how quickly I wish to graduate, and how it fits into my already hectic life.

Up until now, I have been a SAHM for my 13month old.
We have just found out that we are expecting again! grin

My question is how have other mums dealt with study while pregnant/with children already.
We don't have a lot of family up here, just my in-laws... who say they are happy to help out with the weeks I need to go to school if DH isn't home... but COMPLAIN for weeks on end if we ask them to babysit for just one day :S

I spoke to the principle about the chance of me becoming pregnant throughout the duration of the course (wasn't expecting to fall pregnant so fast!) and she said to defer for 12 months.... But wont things be much harder with a newborn too? I want to EBF my newborn for at least 6months, and the last thing I want is for a new baby to arrive and for me to have to shoot off back to school, making things harder on my toddler.

I believe I have the option to withdraw from my course in the next week and a half without incurring any fees... I am really considering it.... and maybe I can look at enrolling back into this course in a few years time.....

What do you all think I should do!? Any advice/personal experience would be great....

Thanks in advance from a very excited yet nervous mumma!

That is very exciting! Congratulations on your pregnancy and your course! Are the eleven weeks you have to attend all at once? Or dispersed throughout the year? Is it possible for you to use childcare during that time? I started my degree when my youngest daughter was three months old. I had three other children, too. I studied part time for the first year and didn't use child care, but I then went full time for the remainder of my degree. Two of my children were at school by that time so I had two at home most of the time, and I ended up putting them in child care for two days per week, because I have no family that can help out. I finished that degree last year and did my honours year on campus this year, full time. My classes were all on one day per week, thankfully, but I did have to travel around 200 km to campus, then back home, so around 430 km each Thursday. This year I only had one child at home, and she attends kinder for two half days and daycare for one half and one full day per week. It has been difficult for me though, and it was difficult to study with a newborn, but I managed. So it is possible. If you did the course, how far through it would you be when your baby is due? If you still had a way to go you might be stressed and have difficulties with breast feeding, etc, with the extra stress, particularly if you have to leave your baby.

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Thanks for your reply!

The 11 weeks are scattered throughout the 12 or 24months and I can choose which weeks I attend, they recommend attending 1 to 2 full weeks of practical study each month.
I can use childcare, but have limited funds with DH's shifts being cut back for the slow season.
I am concerned I'm just setting myself up to fail with too much all at once.... It would be okay to start with while I'm early days pregnant.... but as the morning sickness sets in (it was terrible with DS1) I don't think I will be able to continue...
Plus I want to be able to enjoy the new addition to the family when he/she comes along not have in the back of my mind that I need to be back at school in 2 months.
I'd only be 8 months into my 24month diploma by the time baby should be due....

I think my best option will be to withdraw from my course and plan to enroll again once we've finished having kids and I can focus 100% on my studies....
I just feel silly sitting around doing nothing but being a SAHM (as much as that's a full time job in itself) I have nothing to do, but be a mum and cook the baby haha.

Yes, when you describe it in that way, I tend to agree with you; it might just be too much to take on all at once, and you will be busy/stressed in those early months after having your baby, and it's really nice to have a rest about then! What are you planning on studying? Is it possible you can do an external degree? That is what I did - it was better because, while I was at home, I felt like I was doing something and I was never bored!

It's a diploma of beauty therapy course, which will hopefully get me into the cosmetic and/or spa therapy industry.... I know someone who has done the course and they tell me it is very intense, not easy like people think.
I would like to study SOMETHING from home, but the only way I can pass the content is to physically go to the college and practice with practical classes. So don't know if i would be able to do an external degree like you have done... That sounds great though! haha.
Maybe I'll have a look at some short courses that could go towards my Diploma when I decide to do it in a few years time....

I imagine that would be intense; a lot of things to learn in a relatively short amount of time! It's also quite practical, so I can see why it's not possible externally. You could just wait and see what it is like to have another baby around. It can be quite a big change for some people - myself included! It might not be a good idea to commit to a course until after your baby is born, because you will have a better understanding of what things might be like by that stage. Some short courses could be a good idea, too! I found it took me some time to transition to having another baby in the house, and I actually underestimated how much energy having a fourth baby would take! By that time I had committed to my degree and I really wanted to do it, and I did, but it has been quite difficult at times. It might have been nice to rest, but my brain doesn't want to rest sadly! I wish you the best of luck!

I started studying a bachelor of nursing and health science (double degree) last year and a couple month into it i found out i was pregnant with my second child. I had to travel 3 hrs up and back to do my contact hours on campus and there is a lot of theory that you have to do at home plus attending lectures. I had terrible morning sickness so it wasnt the best time for me. But i must say it was a heck of a lot easier than now. I went back when my DD was 5 weeks old and that was a massive mistake it was so hard to concentrate and put my best efforts in whilst caring for a new born plus a 4 yr old. They dont go to child care and DS only attends kindy on a monday. Luckily enough if i have a massive assignment my mum will take them so i have time to do it without interuption.
Overall it is difficult studying whist pregnant but its not impossible. Studying with a new born is so much harder IMO. If i were you i would start studying whilst i was pregnant and perhaps defer when baby comes so at least you can finish some subjects which you will be greatful for when you go back to study.
Anyhoo good luck with your desition making smile

Thanks heaps for your replies!
I have a lot of thinking to do I reckon! It's good to hear how things worked out for the both of you though...
I'm already feeling stressed just thinking about having so much practical to do with a newborn, so I think I'm swaying more towards withdrawing from the course and I can enroll in a few years when DS is in kindy and the next bubba is old enough to be apart from me (hopefully around 1 year)
Either way, I'm sure I will make the right decision in the end....
I really appreciate your advice!!! grin

well I feel like im reading my own post. I am studying full time doing my degree, I have a 2 year old little girl and I am pregnant. I also work part time as well.

I have no intentions of pulling out as the pros outweigh the cons for me. I find I am tired a lot but just keep pushing through.

if you decide to go ahead.. my key to success is major organisation. I find my week goes sooo smoothly because of this. and finding a really supportive study group as well really helps.

good luck with whatever u decide to do
Sign in to follow this topic