Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Teenaged mother, not incompetant mother...

Teenaged mother, not incompetant mother... Rss

Hello ladies,
I am a 17yo mother of 7 month old Georgia.
I am a teen mum, but i am sick to death of people thinking or assuming because of my age that i must be a bad mother, or incompetant.
I am, in my eyes, a good mum to my little girl and i give her everything that an older mum could.
She is a very healthy, happy breastfed girl, she is my world.
Thanx for listening to my whinge!!! Julia.

julia, tas, 8mth baby

Julse

Congratulations on your little girl !
My bubba was going to be Georgia if he didn't come out with the extra bits.

Don't worry about other people. Regardless of your age there is ALWAYS someone who will make you feel incomeptent.

JUST IGNORE THEM AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Kristy, NSW, Mum to Jai 7-4-04 and Zakk 25-5-08

im 18 with a beautiful little boy. i hate the way people look at you like your stupid. one of the midwives in hospital told me i should of had an abortion because teens dont have the maturity to look after babies. i was even told that if i cared about jamie i would marry his father. people should mind their own buisness

trudie, chch, 4mth baby boy

Hi Julse,
I'm 25 with my baby girl who is 6 months old but my sister is 21 years old and whenever we go shopping she sometimes hold my girl or even push the pram for me to give me a break and I have watched other women look at her with a horrible face. My sister just gets annoyed and sometimes says something back to them but often just shrugs her sholders or gives them a look back.
Your doing a wonderful job and don't let other women say otherwise. Your obviously very proud of your little girl which you should be and keep up with the good work!!!!

I also watched a 13 year old raise a beautiful girl (which I thought that age was too young but she surprised me) but I don't think for a second that you wouldn't be able to do it. My cousin has just turned 18 and she has to have a baby now before its too late (body problems) and she will do a perfect job!!

QLD, Mum to Chloe 16.05.04 + Caiden 25.08.06

Hi Julie,
i too had my baby girl when I was 18, i also copped all the bad comments and it really hurt but do you know what my daughter is now 5 & 1/2 years old and she is the smartest, polite, bright and friendly little girl at kinder and everyday at least one person comments on how well behaved and polite she is, so just you continue on raising your beautiful little girl the way you are and the best way to show everyone your not a bad mum is persistance, teach your sweetie pie everything yourself and let them be wowed by her in the years to come. Good luck.
Mandy.

2 cuties 7/5/99 & 8/9/04

Hi, I'm too a young(ish) mum, I got pregnant at 19 and you wouldn't beleive the flak I copped at the hospital, as my son was born with problems and sent upto 'NICU' It was automaticly assumed that because I'm a young mother I had taken drugs while pregnant!
How easily people forget that only a few generations ago, women were married with children before they were 20 and considered an old 'spinster' if they weren't. Now days it seems that it doesn't matter how old you are when you have your kids your either too young, too old or they find anything else to complain about.
Keep up the great work, there's no-one in this world who knows what your little girl needs but you.

Elizabeth, NZ

Hello everyone,
Thankyou all for the kind words!

julia, tas, 8mth baby

personally i would rather have kids now (at 18) than at 40. smile

trudie, chch, 4mth baby boy

Hi Trudie,
Your post made me laugh, he he!!
I would rather have a baby at my age than at 40 as well!!
My mothers friend is nearly 50 and she is due to give birth to her 4th child on christmas day,

julia, tas, 8mth baby

Hi guys,

Elizabeth is so right, I'm 25 and my first bu is now almost 14mths. Some ppl still treat me like I wouldn't know what I'm talking about. tongue

If you know you're doing the best for your darlings, just keep on doing it. I also can't believe the midwife said that to you Trudie!! That is one of the most pathetic and disgusting things I've ever heard!!

My youngest sister was born when I was 14 and I had a big hand in her early raising as my Mum had extreme postnal depression, so who says teens don't have the maturity to look after a child.

I know a lot who don't, but I also know quite a few who'd make fantastic Mum's.

Take care and keep on being fantastic Mum's, no doubt you'll prove them all wrong!

Smiles! grin
Shanna

Hi Everyone
I am 20 and have a 11 month old boy (had him 2 weeks before I turned 20) and I also get the dirty looks and horrible snares and whispers. I hate it and the thing that gets to me the most is that back when my mum was having kids 20 was a good age and before mum even younger was the go so why has it changed so much????
I cant say that everyone is nasty though as I have had lots of people come up and say how beutiful happy and healthy my boy is, also to ask if his mine because he is so big compared to me ( im tiny) and those people were so nice and lovely! I had one elderly lady ask if he was mine and than ask how old I was I told her and she said oh thats a good age I had my son at 20 and he is 50 next week!!
I think there is such a bad name attached to young mothers when there shouldnt be, yes I know some people have kids for the wrong reasons but so that dosnt mean just young ones, I have seen on the news older women abusing there children more so than young ones!!
If we treat our kids right if they are loved happy and healthy than what should it matter!!
Lets stick together as mothers not of what age we were when we had our babys!!
Sorry long but I have strong feelings for it!!
Meli

Mummy to 3 Boys

Hey all, what a great discussion. I had my first baby just after i turned 21 but i looked about17! i also have another baby who is 4months old.
I totaly agree. When I was pregnant with Zack (now 2) I hated going out in public because i could feel the holes being burned into my tummy by their stares. I was shocked at the way i was treated and i would never leave the house without my wedding ring on. I even went as far as to make sure that my left hand was always resting on my stared at belly so they could see i was married. in hindsight i say stuff em'! whats it to them. 25 years ago everyone had babies at our age. its just that now women have the option of a career. ill bet all those pokey nosed starers had babies when they were teens or early 20's so what makes us so different to them?

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

Sign in to follow this topic