Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Getting back in shape with baby. Rss

How did you get back in to shape after your baby..

Johanne_Chambers@yahoo.com.au plainland qld

I'm still trying after no. 1, and that was 9 years ago. Hopefully i'll get there. I've started doing pilates, which i believe is great for re-toning and strengthening.
I'm mixing this with a bit of walking, netball twice a week, and cycling (rotate the cycling and walking).
I'm currently at 93kgs. My goal is to get down to at least 85kgs by end August - and hopfully back to 75-80kgs by the end of the year.
Good luck with it.

Mel.

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

Hi M

I would love to give Pilates a go. Is it something I could do without any prior experience? Do you follow a video? If so where could I purchase one?

Lara, NZ, 5mth baby boy

Hi,

I'm not sure what they have in NZ. There are videos for pilates, but they recommend that you do a course of introduction classes 1st, as it is a little more complex than an aerobics class or similar.
I am in Canberra, and a couple of my local gyms offer classes (you have to enrol for a season of usually 10 classes - so you would do 10 beginner classes, than 10 intermediate and so on)
I have also found a couple of places that do 1 on 1 or small group classes of about 4 people for about $40 to $60 per class (cheaper if you buy a block purchase of 10 classes). I started off seeing a private instructor - it cost me $40- per session for a 10 session block, and my 1st 2 sessions were 1 on 1 with her until i understood the method, the next 8 were in a small group of 4, and now i go to classes at the gym.
Usually at the 2nd session they do up a program for you so you can follow it at home as well.

I have seen the videos in most department stores, and I saw 1 advertised on t.v. one day when i was home for Marie Winters Pilates (supposedly American Celebs love her) and you can get her video through mail order / credit card.

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

Hi,
i started walking since six weeks after the birth of my daughter every second day plus i exagerate household chores tensing muscles when bending and scrubbing Also every sunday we have family day we all get together and have a bbq with heaps of salads and play something high energy like footyor cricket which is greaat fun and great to see family.

i have tried a new lotion from garnier called body tonic (in pump bottle) its toning firming creaam and i wouldnt have believed it till i tried it is visibly working. when i apply it i use a kinda slapping motion on my belly upwards its weird but great to tone and get the blood flowing.

when trying to loose weight try and do it as naturally as u can as the faster u loose the weight the faster and more ull put it back.
i was 96kg when my girl was born in january and now am 83kg i have 10kg to go yet but i never stop trying cause no matter how discoureged u r and think its not working dont quite a lil step is a big step in the right direction u will reach it soon and be proud u stuck with it
good luck to all and enjoy exercise

Liby mum for my almost 1 yr old 14/1/03 ashleigh

a lot of gyms now have child minding, which is great for mums. I joined Fernwood in Qld about 6 weeks ago -when dd was 8 wks old. She loves interacting with all the other kids and I love the time out to exercise. I am desperate to get some of my pre baby body back! the jelly belly seems very keen to stay but I'm working on it, lots of situps and ab work - ouch. Sadly I don't think there's an easy way to get back the "old me"...

Pram pushing is hard work too - especially with the heavy nappy bag, growing baby and all the other stuff that we lug around

mama to Ruby, born in March 2003

Hi, I enjoy walking to try and work of the baby belly! but on Monday it was too cold so I was watching TV and Yoga came on so I tried it AND well I guess you could say failed! Has anyone done Yoga? I was so light headed I though I would faint. It was funny considering I though it would be easy.

Lisa,NSW,6mth baby

Hi I'm a mum of one 10 month old and if there are any mums out there that would like to join me in a walking/swimming group for the mums who want to loose those kilos please let me know. I'm 21, currently at 95kgs and just don't really have the motivation to go walking on my own so if there is anyone who would like to join me two, three even forur times a week that would be great. The more the merrier. I live in Oxley, Brisbane but don't mind meeting at a central location to all involved. If interested please email beceastland@hotmail.com

mum to Jay born March 2003

Hi Mumbec,

My name is Larnie and i am also 21 and have a 6 month old son. i live in Forest Lake so that is very close to you. I would also love to go walking and or swimming. I would love to hear from you.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

I put my 6 month old in his swimming ring and we get in the pool. I get a full body workout (including the horible jelly belly) and he zooms around wearing himself out. We both have a great time and Ezrah has a fantastic sleep afterwards.
i agree any solutions about the 'baby belly bit 'would be excellent, hipster pants shows all my bad stretch marks any solutions for that?

DD may 03, DS oct 06

I go to the pool with my daughter each day, and we both go swimming. She first went swimming at 8 weeks, as it was still too cool in the water before then to get in. As i belong to a swimming club where there are teenagers, their parents offer to hold her while i do laps, and by that time she has had her swim and is feeling quite sociable. Also, we go walking for 4km each evening. I find that it is best to go while it's still light so she can look around at everything. I kept fit throughout the pregnancy so doing this was easy for me, but if you haven't then i suggest start slow, maybe walk to the corner shop and increase the distance over time. I also have a mini gym and do weights in the morning before she wakes up. Good luck and let me know how you go!

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic