Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Painful Nipple - Still breastfeeding

Painful Nipple - Still breastfeeding Rss

Hello Everyone.
My name is Kath and are Mum to Zachariah (12 months) we live in NSW.
I was wanting to know if anyone has had a pain run thru their nipple. I am still breastfeeding and are trying to wean. I am wanting to know if this is normal or not.

Thanks, talk to you all soon. smile

Mum to Zachariah NSW

Hi,
Do you have a crack in the nipple? When I weaned my daughter (2nd child), when she was 7 months old, my left nipple had a sharp pain run through it every time she suckled. It turned out that when she had bitten me (1 week earlier) she had slightly cracked my nipple. I put Bepanthan cream on the nipple 3 times a day, and within 3 days, I had no more pain and was able to finish weaning her. It may pay to see your doctor just in case, as pain in your nipple isn't usually normal, especially after feeding for 12 months. Good luck, let me know how you go. I am currently in the process of beginning to wean my 8 month old son now!
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Kath,

is it a sharp pain? If so, it might be nipple thrush. have you spoken to your Maternal Health nurse or doctor? Have a look in Zachariah's mouth and try to see if there are any white spots on the roof of his mouth or tongue - this means you may have nipple thrush.

Good luck

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Kath, 1st of all, congrats for still breastfeeding!!! I breastfed my now 19 month old, Bekkie, until she was 10 mnths. I wanted to feed her til 12 mnths but due to mastitis and an overactive thyroid I had to stop. When she was born, Bekkie wouldn't latch on properly and I got a cracked nipple (ouch!), but due to persistence and asking the midwives for help, we got there!! I was also a member of the Aust. Breastfeeding Assoc. at the time, and they were a great help. You shouldn't be feeling any pain when you feed, so perhaps you could get in contact with them and/or your childhood nurse about possible latching/other related problems you're having? Just a thought....Good luck!

Angela, NSW

I haven't had any trouble since the first week when i had cracked nipples, but i used bepanthen on the nipples then, and it worked wonders. My daughter will still be breastfed at 12 months, possibly even longer. It's good to hear people who breastfeed their babies for at least the first 12 months. Do you have cracked nipples? Otherwise i would suggest seeing a doctor about it.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Hi there JadeH, just to let you know, some of us mothers would love to keep breastfeeding until 12 months but unfortunately we can't, my son cracked my nipple on day 2 and it has never healed, I have tried all sorts of creams recommended by my nurse and doctor without any sucess, I have just fully weened him onto the bottle - by myself - it wasn't a latching on problem or anything like that, he was just a powerful sucker - like most males are!!!
Hi Tracey,
Sorry for the late reply. The problem did get solved, my wee man did crack my nipple slightly... oh my god what we go through! and all his teeth. I have managed to wean my boy fully at 13 months with no problem at all. Every time he get's new teeth he bites which is the reason for weaning. And the nipple is fine..... no more pain!
Good luck on weaning and well done for getting to 8 months! Give yourself a pat on the back and a chocolate bikkie you deserve it!

Regards

Kath

Mum to Zachariah NSW

Hi Kath,
Brady decided about 3 weeks ago, that he was not longer interested in the breast and weaned himself. He is now on diluted cows milk full time now and thriving. Congratulations on getting as far as you did.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Tracey,
how did you know Brady wasn't interested anymore. I'm asking because I think that's what my bubs is doing. I almost have to force her onto the breast during the day. Some advice would be much appreciated. If i have to wean her onto the bottle then so be it - but I just don't know what to do at the moment.
thanks

Hi Vic,
I knew Brady wasn't interested, because he was having diluted cows milk in a cup at lunchtime, and I was feeding him morning and night, then all of a sudden he would start to suck, then pull of, then go back on, then pull of etc etc. He didn't seem interested in drinking, only playing, so I gave him some cows milk in his cup, and he drank it. I still had plenty of milk, so it wasn't like he wasn't getting anything. I persisted with it for over a week, then ended up just giving him a cup, and he hasn't even looked for the breast since. He is now on diluted cows milk full time, and is thriving. How old is you bub?
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Tracey,
Madison will be 8mths on 2 Feb. I haven't introduced any milk or formula, just some water after solids. But Madison is doing just what you described. Sometimes she stops sucking so I don't have any let down and then she gives up cause it takes too long. Not sure whether to persit or just give up and give her formula. The health nurse said she is too young for cows milk.
Yonny

How old is Brady?
Yonny

Sign in to follow this topic