Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. DO I HAVE POST NATAL DEPRESSION ?

DO I HAVE POST NATAL DEPRESSION ? Rss

Hi my name is Lisa and i have a beatiful baby girl called Haley.She is almost 14 weeks old...
I really dont know where to begin, but I really think I may have PND......It seems that absolutely nothing makes me happy.......I am constantly screaming at my partner and telling him I want him to leave ( WHICH I DONT ), I just cant seem to control myself.....I have had a gambling problem also....While stuck at home pregnant, I started playing online bingo and before I knew it I was spending hundreds of dollars a week.....At the time it helped me with lonliness having others to chat to....but has definately become a problem....I feel like i have missed out on the first 3 months of my babies life....I have just constantly been playing bingo....Dont get me wrong I love and care for my baby and she goes without nothing....I look after her, but feel so guilty as I was more interested in gambling than her sad I live a very solitary life and dont really trust people to try and form real friendships......I have been badly hurt in the past by supposive friends and ex partners.....I am too frightened to seek professional help as I am scared they will say I am not a good mother sad I also feel really guilty as I got blind drunk the other night and left my partner to look after her....PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE !!

Lisa SA mum to beautiful haley born 27/9/03

Hi Lisa,
My name is Lauraine and I act as the moderator for Parents Exchange. Can I suggest that you make contact with your local Doctor and explain your position to them. They will then be able to assist and direct you in the best way. In addition, this Huggies website has an extensive list of Post Natal Depression support services available to you. Some of these offer anonymous on-line counselling with a professional. Go to the Links and Resources section and click on "Health Assistance".
Some other numbers that may be of some help include
Gambling Helpline SA - Freecall™1800 060 757
Lifeline 131114/www.lifeline.iinet.net.au
Parentline 132055/www.parentline.com.

I hope that I have been of some help.
Best wishes
Hi Lisa,
I cant really tell you if you have pnd, all I know is The first 6 months is hard and hard on you relationship as you dont have as much time as you used to. Ive often wondered if I have had it also. But then some days are just great.
If your baby is loved and cared for you are not a bad mum. And nobody could ever say so. So what if you got drunk the other night so did I! But I left my son with my mum who I trust. And so did you. You didnt just leave her with just anybody, It was your partner. I think its good for the man to spend time with their babies.
I would see someone if I were you, if you feel like things are getting out of control.
Hope you feel better soon.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Lisa,

I don't know what area you live in, but my suggestion would be to join a Mothers Group if possible. It really helps to chat to other Mums on a regular basis with bubs of the same/similar age. You'll find you're certainly not alone, with most people going through the same things as you.

If you're seeing a Maternal & Child Health Nurse she should be able to set you up with a group in your area.

Don't despair though, things will get better, I found the first 2 - 3 months the most challenging with new babies. (I have a 3 year old girl and a 9 month old girl).

When you find yourself feeling really low or tempted to go online to gamble, why don't you go for a walk (weather permitting of course). Or, if your partner is at home and can look after bub, jump in the bath and take some time for yourself.

Please take care and know that there is help out there if you're really feeling low. There's no need to suffer alone.

Take care and try to enjoy your bub as they grow up so fast.

Best of luck.

D
Mum 0f 2 girls.

mum-2 girls, 9mths & 3y.o.

THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES......I have felt a lot better these past few days as I have made a strict effort not to play the bingo online ! I have actually watched a few movies.....first time since haley was born lol and spent a lot more quality time with my partner and most importantly my darling baby girl.......like i said in my previous post I wasnt neglecting her in anyway, but was making the bingo a priority.....I know what you mean by they grow up quickly dilotta, my other baby is 18 on the 27th of this month lol AGAIN thankyou for the replies smile

Hi Lisa,

Good on you. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better.

Sounds like you're going to be okay.

mum-2 girls, 9mths & 3y.o.

if you need someone to talk to i am here

kodeybear@hotmail.com

i've suffered depression all my life it's not PND but it is depression.

drop me a line if you need someone to talk to

narelle

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

i can totally sympathise does your partmer work shifts if so come to my forum sometime it would be nice to chat

DD may 03, DS oct 06

JUST WANTED TO UPDATE smile
I am now feeling much much better !
Its amazing what getting sleep can do....Haley has been sleeping through the night these past few weeks and I feel good to actually be getting some sleep smile I feel like I am getting my brain back if you know what I mean lol
Anyway just wanted to say to any new mums that may be feeling depressed etc, it does get better smile

hi lisa i suggest u talk to the local health nurse they do a questionaire i to find the mums who hve pnd

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi Lisa, gosh the first couple of months are pretty hard, aren't they?
Hey on a "down" day, see if you can invite a friend over for a coffee and just chat the afternoon away.... it really does help to get perspective and a lift.
Sign in to follow this topic