Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Nearly 8 months and still not sleeping through

Nearly 8 months and still not sleeping through Lock Rss

Hello Everyone

Our nearly 8 month old little girl is still not sleeping through the night most nights she wakes at about 2.30am and i have tried the controlled crying techniques and i just don't have any sucess i end up staying up for about an hour then having to give her a bottle so we can go back to sleep

We even attended sleep school but the settling techniques (patting, rocking) just don't seem to have an effect anymore!

i just don't know what to do! should i just give her a bottle when she first wakes up so we can go back to sleep and not have to stay up for an extra hour?

please someone tell me she will grow out of it soon!

we even tried the dream feed at about 10./10.30pm and it worked one night but since hasn't worked she was still waking up between 2am and 2.30am

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

oops forgot to add at the sleep school they said if you fix the day time sleeps the night time will fix itself! i am still waiting for this to happen!

Laura has 2 naps a day in the morning for about 1 1/2 hours and the afternoon about 2 hours

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melis,

Logan is only 5 1/2 months old but he also wakes at around 2am and around 4:30am for a feed. We too have tried to shh/pat, rock and cuddle back to sleep, only to have him wake again in half an hour. This to me means he is hungry, so now I just feed him when he wakes - quicker and easier for everyone. I was worried that he was getting too old for night waking/feeding as people kept saying "oh he should be growing out of that by now!". But you know what? "They" are the only ones who have a problem with it! If I quickly feed and resettle him we are up for about half an hour each time and back to sleep. Really I don't mind. Yes I'm tired but isn't that part of being a mother?

If you really have a problem with the lack of sleep then maybe you should talk to a professional about other techniques. Other wise have a big think about whether it is you who thinks it is a problem or if it is just "they" who have the problem... If it is only the famous "they" who are saying that is what your baby "should" be doing then thumb your nose to "them" and keep feeding at night if it keeps everyone (especially bubs) happy!.

PS She will grow out of it - I don't know any adults or even older children who wake in the middle of the night for a meal! LOL.

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

Hi Melly,
Does your little girl go to bed awake and does she fall asleep naturally with little fuss while in her bed?

If yes then I think the advice you were given at the sleep school was probably what you should be working for. I am sure you have been told that babies will go through periods of light sleep at night and if they are unable to put themselves to sleep they will wake up and want a feed or some other form of comfort.

If the answer is no, then I think you need to help her learn how to fall asleep alone with little or no assistance. There are technechs that are very affective and don't have to be too traumatic. I will check back to hear to see if you would like my advice on how to do this.

My only credentials are that I am the monther of four beautiful children who all go to bed at 6.30 and they all sleep all night. Their ages are 6, 5, 3, and four months.

Good luck

Jennie

Sign in to follow this topic