Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How do you get a crawling baby to sleep?

How do you get a crawling baby to sleep? Lock Rss

Riley is 8 months, and in the last month has discovered he can crawl. This is great, except now when I put him in his cot he just crawls around and wont go to sleep. Even if he half wakes during the night he automatically goes into the crawling position and starts crawling, which wakes him up fully. I can't just leave him to go to sleep because he wont and he gets so over-tired. Short of duct-taping him to his damn cot mattress (which has crossed my frustrated mind many times at 2am!) I don't know how to get him to stay still and go to sleep. Surely there are other bubs out their doing this, what can I do?

Bindi, WA, mum of two

Hi Bindi

Unfortunately most babies do the same thing when they learn to crawl - and all their other "tricks". My son who is now 2 did the same thing. I know it can be frustrating and really tiring - especially at 2am! But you just need to remind him that it's time to sleep and lay him back down - it will probably take a while for him to get the message. The excitement of crawling will eventually wear off - just try to be patient in the meantime. Sorry I haven't been much help - just wanted to let you know you're not alone and it does eventually pass smile .

Take care
Jasmine
Hey Bindi_C
Im with you here.... my little one is 9 Months and wont stop crawling in bed. We thought she may stop if we put her between me & My Partner but that only made the problem worse, so dont do that!
She Now Stands up in the cot and bashes her dummy on the side....
Hopefully someone will be able to help us!! sad
my bubby did this for a week - then he learnt to stand! now all he will do is get up when he is in the cot ! it is so frustrating no matter what stage he is at.
I tried wrapping him so tight that he couldnt move, i tucked him in, i gave him 5 dummies. But nothing would work. I got my self a grow bag and have never looked back. Now he can roll around and do a bit of crawling but he cant sit properly in it or stand. So give it a try. See if one of your friends has got one, and borrow it before buying because they can be expencive.

Hope this helps.

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Sign in to follow this topic