Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. used to sleep through, now wakes 2-3 times !!!! help

used to sleep through, now wakes 2-3 times !!!! help Rss

We have a 7month old, who since 8 weeks has pretty much slept all night (6.30pm to 5.30am). For the last 2 weeks Jade has been waking around 11.00pm and again at 2-3am. I have tried feeding her at 11:00 with the hope that she would sleep later in the morning (we were getting sick of the 5.30am wake up - but learned to live with it). No the 11:00 feed did nothing. She sleeps on her belly (big no no I know, but she has since about 6 weeks or so - and it works) so we have been patting her bum to put her back to sleep, only to wake 10mins later and this can go on for 2-3 goes.

The nurse at the clinic has suggested that she is just hungry so feed her. I am still breastfeeding so I am interested to know if a formula top up might be the answer ??????

I just want to make sure we are not starving our little Jade (she is on the bottom half of average in weight - but then again I wasn't a big baby and the Dr is not concerned)

Any ideas are welcome, except control crying, can't bring myself to do that one...sorry

Robina QLD

My little boy also did the wakings at around the 6-7months. At 8 1/2 months he still does it (don't despair though) We also did not do controlled crying as it was too hard to listen to. I go in and put his dummy in, re arrange him if he needs it, if it is around 1-2am I change his nappy in his cot so not to disturb him too much. Sometimes a combination of this all works, and sometimes not. Last resort (as I work during the day) is he comes to bed with me in the spare room (this makes him sleep through) but this is definately a last resort (6-7 times up in a row will do it). He stopped his 11pm bottle at 7 months and I know he isn't hungry so it is a matter of settling him as quickly as possible after he wakes - As soon as I hear him I go in. Over the last week I have had some results with only having to get up twice in the night. I remind myself this will get better one day, I have the rest of my life to sleep. Good luck!!

Deena NZ New mum

Hello Jade's Mother
I have a 4 month Baby and since the beginning she Has only woken up once during the night Normally around 3.00 and then again at 7.00
Lately she has been waking up earlier on as i know she doesnt need a feed i just use a dummy and that seems to work the other night she woke up at midnight i tried feeding her but it was a mistake as she bearly fed more then a few minute.I normally tuck one arm in and some how she always gets the other out and that was the main cause in her waking herself up.i cant start the night with both arms out as she starts touching her face and her arms are going everywhere i wait till she is fully asleep and then un tuck her arm so she wont wake herself up during the night.
I have started to give her top ups with Formula and she now starts to sleep close to 5.00 she isnt to keen on it perfers the breast
I hope i have been some help
I just posted something about 10 minutes before reading your topic. I am going through exactly the same thing. My daughter use to sleep through the night and is now getting up during the night. I began solids and I am also breastfeeding but introduced formula just over a week ago (about 3 bottles a day) but this does not seem to help. I also have to tap her bum to get her to sleep but she now wiggles alot in her sleep and bumps her head against the cot and begins crying.
I can't catch up on my sleep during the day as I have a 22 month old who keeps me busy.

I know exactly what you are going through

Angela, mother of 6mth & 22mth girls

I know how you feel, I have a 5 month old boy. From 2 months he has been sleeping 12 hours 5pm-5am
For the las 2 weeks he has been waking through the night. He is on formula and has solids so I know he is not hungry. He also sleeps on his stomach (hey some babies just like it better) so he wiggles up during the night and bumps his head.
Last night we were up at least 3 times.

I have tried feeding him later and putting him at the top of the cot so he can't wiggle. Nothing works. He is showing signs of teething so that could be it.

I am sorry I can't offer any new tips but I thought you might want to know you are not alone. Hey mavbe we should start a night time club.

Good luck , Jade is such a pretty name

Tineka

Tineka, Mum to Hamish 3yrs, Abby 1yr & 1due 10/04

My bub is nearly 5 months and slept through from about 3 weeks 9pm - 5/6am. But from 3 months she started to wake up again through night. So I changed her routine and put her to sleep at 7,7.30pm, and wake her at 10 for a breast or bottle feed. But she still woke at 3am. Now she wakes at 1.30. I go put the dummy back in but sometimes she will wake again in 40 mins, an hour or 2 hours.

Sometimes, I feed her at 3 if she wakes up, as I am not sure if she is hungry. Feeding her helps her settle by herself and she goes back to sleep.

I still get about 6 hours of sleep on average, but it is all broken up. Very annoying. Thought I was alone. People kept telling me I should try controlled crying, or keep putting the dummy in, and do NOT feed her. But they are not here and not being kept up all night. It is all very confusing.

I have tried the bottle for her last feed, but didn't make any difference. Have started solids, but she not very interested.
Perhaps it is teething, sore gums?????
Wow it's nice to know we aren't alone in this as I have the same problem.

Last night my five month old son Joshua woke every 2 1/2 hours so each time I fed him - if I don't he won't settle and he is hungry as has a good feed. He is waking up by wiggling to the top of his cot and trying to roll over. I try to tuck the blankets in tight but he still finds a way out.

Sometimes he will wake about 40 mins after going down so I put the dummy in but that only works for another 30 mins to an hour. I thought about trying to give him formula as his last feed at night as thought this would make him go longer but sounds like that doesn't work.

I also can't bring myself to do the controlled crying method either but wish there was a reason for this as I would love to get some less broken sleep.

Sounds like we all just have to hand in there.

Shelley , NZ, Joshua 19/10/03

We had the same problem with our son at around 10 months old. Initially we would get him up, change his nappy if full and feed him down again. The problem was this just kept on going on, was no longer a one off was now a habit. We continued with the feeding back down for a while (seemed easier at the time), but the next time we had a long weekend we then used the controlled crying. After 3 nights we were back to normal (admittedly those 3 nights were hell!). The reason we waited for the long weekend was so that we could give eachother time during the days to catch up on sleep.
He started doing the same thing again at around 13 months, but this time we were prepared and just went in to check him and reassure him we were here b4 using controlled crying again. It worked in one night that time (he had been ill for a couple of days b4, but was well again when we used cc).

Best of luck to everyone. CC does work, but don't feel guilty if you can't do it. I have to say it was the hardest thing I have ever done, every instinct I have was screaming to go to him!

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Well i'm officialy a walking zombie.

My 5 month old son has been doing this for a little while but boy has it come to a head the last few days.

Friday night my husband spent three and a halve hours settling him he would doze off only to wake in 10 mins. this contionued till i feed him again at 11:30pm. We then got some sleep till 2:00am when he woke up again hungary feed then went down till 4:30am and no luck at all tried everything gave up and he came to bed with us.

Saturday Night much the same, Sunday worse as the only way to get him to sleep longer than 10 mins was to hold him in my arms and sleep on our couch.(Good for him bad for mummy)

I have tried everything i know and was going to try supplement feeding this afternoon but by the sounds of it, it's not the way to go either. When i checked his weight with the nurse he is still putting on about 120 grams per week so i don't think hunger is the real problem.

Sometimes i just wished they came witha manual saying at this stage they are going to act like terrorrs for x amount of weeks and then it will improve.

I'm just glad to know that i'm not the only mum out they who's going through this.

Good luck

Kathy, QLD, Lucas 24/10/03

Hi there,
I have a 5 month old daughter & lucklily when she wakes in the night she has a top up breast feed & is back asleep within minutes by herself. It seems that she is using her "day techniques" to get herself back to sleep. I tried I think its called "comfort control crying" Put baby to bed & give signals that it is sleep time, i.e. dark room quiet, say "Nigh Nigh" or something like that & walk out the room. Jordan started off crying as soon as I walked out which is to be expected then I went in after a minute, patted her & resettled walked out and so on. I know this is similar to control crying but its focussed more on the comfort than letting baby cry for 5 minutes. You may have to keep this up for up to 30 mins in the beginning till Jade learns that you are not far away & can get herself off to sleep without you. Most times now with my Jordan it doesn't take as long, sometimes only a couple of minutes & I only have to go into her once. There are still times that she will be troublesome but I get her back up & try again in about 15 or so minutes. Hope this makes sense.

danni,sa

I have already posted a reply but just wanted to know how the other mums were doing with their little night wakers.
My 5 mth old daughter is still waking, anywhere between 1:30-3:30. If she wakes before 3.30 i usually go put the dummy back in (sometimes 2-3 times), because if i feed her at the earlier time, she will wake at 4 or 5 in the morning, as opposed to 6 or 7. I know this sounds familiar to many of you.
I do hold on to some hope that she will grow out of it, but when?????
After I feed her at night, (dim lights, no eye contact, all that stuff) she will nod off by herself -usually, within a couple of minutes.
So many people keep saying to me that she should sleep through, especially since she used to.
What do you all think???
Hi All....I have been a walking zombie since my little boy was born - he has only slept through twice and is 5 months old!! However lately he was doing the wake every 2 or so hours and scream and carry on (very out of character) and like Kathy the only way I got him to sleep (and sort of get some myself) was to lie on the couch with him - after walking with him for anywhere up to an hour. I too am still breastfeeding so would feed him off to sleep but he didn't stay asleep long! He is teething and I have since started using the Brauer Natural Teething remedy and I have my old happy bub back again - only getting up twice at night which was his usual but now he's going straight back down to sleep on his own.

For those bubs who are wiggling up the cot have you tried using a sleeping bag with them, I've heard it can help.

Hope some of this helps.

Take Care

Emma & Jayden, WA

Sign in to follow this topic