Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Awake every 2 & 1/2 hours overnight

Awake every 2 & 1/2 hours overnight Rss

Hi all,

My 7 month old has been waking during the night since Xmas. I started a sleep diary and it works out that she wakes every 2 to 2 & 1/2 hours overnight at around the same times. She is in bed at 9pm (am trying to get her down earlier but thats another battle) then wakes at 11pm, 1am, 3am, 5am & 7am (we get up), give or take 1/2an hour.

She feeds for a good 10 to 15 minutes at each waking so I figure she must be hungry and she won't settle unless she has a breastfeed. Her solid feeding is a shambles to. But I have posted that problem on the feeding area.

My husband is a shift worker and I won't let her cry it out. It just goes against my capabilities as a mum to let her cry, I end up just as distressed as she does if not more. I know I'm soft!!!

Any ideas on how I can get her to sleep even if its only without waking at 1 and 3.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I have just recently had a problem with my 4 1/2 month old daughter waking every 1 - 2 hours thru the night after previously sleeping well for 10 hours a night. I have sometimes resorted to feeding her just to get her back to sleep. A Clinic Nurse suggested I try giving her water from a bottle thru the night. She said that perhaps this will stop her from staying awake until she gets fed because the water won't be worth the effort of staying awake. Maybe you could substitute one of your breastfeeds with a bottle of water. A 7 month old shouldn't be requiring feeds that often thru the night if she doesn't feed that often during the day.
You're not being soft by refusing to let her cry it out, I can't do it either and I find all it does is gets her more upset and therefore harder to settle and makes me more tired and frustrated. Making it harder to cope with the night waking.
All I can suggest is to try slight changes and see what works for you.
Thanks Cathy,
Believe it or not have tried the water idea.....no go, last night just refused to feed her at the 1am feed. Held & patted her to sleep, it took about 20 minutes of being very unsettled, then she slept in a 3.5 hour block woke up, I fed her and she slept for another 3 hour block.

Still not great, but better than every 2 hours and only the 1st night, see how we go tonight. Baby steps, I figured if I cut out one feed, then when she sleeps thru, cut out the next feed and so on until she sleeps. Heres hoping its worth a try.
I'm having exactly the same problems with my 5 month old. He goes down between 8:30 and 9:30 depending on his last feed but has been waking at 2am then every hour until I feed him at about 4 or 5. I don't let him cry it out during the night as I feel its unfair on my husband who has to go to work the next day, as at least I can have a sleep during the day if I need to.
I'll try the bottled water idea and hopefully that'll eventually work. He normally settles back down with the dummy plus gripewater but I'm trying to stop using gripewater so much as I felt he wasn't going to sleep without it.
Hopefully you can save my sanity.
Kristy

member since 2004

Sign in to follow this topic