Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Putting bubs in their own bedroom.

Putting bubs in their own bedroom. Lock Rss

Hi,

Just wondering how everyone went with putting bubs in their own bedroom + at what age? Tahlia is 6 months old and still sleeping in our room. I do not have a problem putting her in her own room but am concerned something might go wrong. We do have a monitor but am afraid that I am going to be in a deep sleep one day and not hear her. We are putting her in her own room Xmas weekend. Did/does anyone else feel this way? any tips?

Cheers, Angelique

My 2 Angels, Vanessa 10 & Tahlia 2

Dear Angelique

i had Olivia in her own room from day 1 and she is now 8 months old. Her bedroom is next to ours, although our rooms are separated by the bathroom.

Initially i was using a baby monitor but i could hear her as plain as day whenever she stirred (and the monitor was picking up street noise too). Her bedroom door is 'stuck' shut - ie you can't completely close it and you have to give it a little push with your hip to make it open, which is great because it means any noise can still get out, but the cat can't get in.

I was worried i wouldn't hear Olivia which is why i bought the monitor but i find i always have an ear 'open' for her cries. I think mums, and some dads wink are just programmed to listen out for their little ones.

Good luck and i hope this was helpful
Susan

Susan, Sydney, 12/4/05 baby

Hi, we ended up putting Ella in her own room at around 2 months. I think its natural & shows you're a great mum to be concerned. I was a little worried too! But honestly I think it was the best thing for her & us too. As a couple you need to have your own space at times, its important on your relationship. And for bub, its good for her to grow some independence. As long as you follow all the SIDS guidelines & know you've put her to bed safely, I'm sure you'll be fine. The first few nights you probably won't get much sleep & will be constantly checking on her through the night, but thats normal. Sooner or later you'll feel more comfortable about the distance & know she's ok.

If you would feel more comfortable about using a monitor then do it. I wouldn't be too concerned about not hearing her with a monitor, they're quite loud! Plus I think its a parents instinct to be sub-consciously awake when they have a little one, one little noise & you're up out of bed checking it out.

Give it a go, if you're not comfortable after 1 or 2 nights you can always go back to having her in the bedroom until you're ready to try it again.

Carlie

Carlie, Ella & Ky

Sign in to follow this topic