Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How much should a 4.5 mth old sleep?

How much should a 4.5 mth old sleep? Rss

Hi

I have a 4.5 mth little girl who seems to sleep alot! She is averaging about 17 hours during a 24 hour period. is this normal? I thought the older babies got the less they sleep?

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hiya,

Every baby is different, and lucky for you, you got a good sleeper. My son slept like that till about 8 weeks and Oh, were they, the joyful days.

Your little girl will start soon to have longer wake periods, and this will be the time to start some good bedtime routines, eg bath, feed, wrap then sleep. If you can, try and start these routines now, while she is in a good sleep pattern.

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe

I feel lucky now as initially as a newborn my little one hardly slept at all! She is doing everything backwards...ha ha.

I already have a routine for her which goes something like this:

6.00 am - awake and feed
6.30 - 10.00 am - sleep
10.00 - 12.30 pm - feed then go out (walk, shopping etc)
12.30 - 2.30 pm - sleep
2.30 - 4.30 pm - feed then playtime
4.30 - 5.30 pm - sleep
5.30 - 7.30 pm - playtime, bath, feed then sleep
7.30 - 6.00 am - sleep

I guess I should make the most of it while it lasts!

smile

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

HI, my clinic nurse suggested babies from 4 months should be sleeping approx 17 hrs per day, with daytime being 2 hrs up, 2 hrs down. Sounds like your little one is spot on. My 6 month old still sleeps this amount, and I expect this to continue for few more months yet. I guess the proof is in how happy they are when awake.

Pamela, SA, mum to Lisa 23.10.03

Hi Eskimo Pie (Pamela)

I agree with you, the two hours up, then two hours down really works. Sometimes my little cherub will sleep three hours if she's really tired and had a big day the day before. She sleeps from 7pm till 7 am and might wake up once around 5am for her dummy, but there's no tears so I cant complain.

and yes, again I agree with a happy baby. It's the proof that your doing it right!!

Kez,

Kerryn, SA, baby girl 20/11/03

Hi Kez,

Just wondering if the 3 hrs down happens at a growth spurt? My daughter Lisa is sleeping alot these last few days, so maybe she's about to grow again. Sounds like you have a little angel there. How old is she? and what is her name?

Pamela

Hi Pamela,

mmm not sure if the 3 hour sleep was a growth spurt because it only happened the once. Liana is a great baby, she's always so happy and alert. I think she'll keep me on my toes when she starts walking. smile

Kerryn, SA, baby girl 20/11/03

Yeah, walking is one of those things I am looking forward to, but at the same time, I will be losing the "baby" stage which is sooo cute, and Lisa walking will mean alot more running around for me. On the other hand, it may be a chance for me to lose some of this extra weight which is much harder to lose than I thaught it would be.

Sign in to follow this topic