Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Teething Rss

My 6 month old has just received his first tooth, and since this time he has changed his pattern of eating and sleeping. He is fussy when being fed solids and has been waking at night 2 - 3 times. Can anyone advise if they had similar stories to me and what you did during teething times. I feel like I need toothpicks to keep my eyes open lately, as the nights have been very draining with all the interrupted sleep.

Buzz. Vic. 6mths old

Hi Jules. I know how u feel. My 9 1/2 month old was sleeping thru until teething started too. Now on a bad night she wakes EVERY hour! I give her some panadol and that will last for only 4 hours b4 she starts waking again. THis is come every 2 weeks for about 3 days to a week. However, she loves her food. ITs some sleep i need!
hello again
my daughter cut her 2 bottom teeth a few weeks ago.
i tried panadol as well and cold soothing rings,and rusksand bonjela.
Nothing much else you can do.
As for the night waking well im still waking up 3/6 times a night.
i.e 2day i woke up at 3.30 am.
i'm still breastfeeding her and she wakes for comfort and then at some point after being woken soooo many times,i get out of bed.
i'm tired too but somehow i still have the energy.
i cant wait for the time to come for my baby to sleep right thru the night.
anyway goodluck with her teething.
I'm waiting for round 2 now lol.(upper teeth)

mary.NSW 11 month baby

Hi Jules,

Im so sorry I cannot help you or offer any advice.

My baby is 5 1/2 months so I guess she will cut her first tooth soon. I just thought by reading your site I could at least be prepared for what will happen with her.

nance 1st mum 30/01/03

I'm sorry I can't offer a great deal of advice. I have 2 children and they handled teething quite differently. Just stick it out. My 10 month old got her first 2 teeth at 4 months and now by 10 months has 8. Her sleeping patterns were very messed up and to a certain extent still are as I believe she is now getting more teeth. At one point both my husband and myself were like you with the toothpicks holding the eyelids up. Just keep the panadol and bonjela up to them when there teeth are hurting and give him rusks to chew on.

Mum of 2 and another on the way

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!!
I no longer know what a full night sleep is and can't believe that one day it will return, hopefully to normal.

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Hi! My daughter is now 12 1/2 months old and she still only has her bottom two teeth, but has had swollen gums on and off for months. Sometimes i find that a face washer that is dampened with cool/cold water is a good relief, I think it has something to do with the fact that the washer is rough as well as cool. Jody tends to bite down hard on it and pull it out of her mouth. I have seen some "natural" versions of medicines (?) that are for teething in the chemist, although not tried them yet.
Hope this helps!

Kym, NSW, 12 1/2 month, girl

I dont' know whether anyone has tried it, but buy a pair of knee-high stockings, peel an apple, put it in the stocking and tie to pram, cot or whatever. Them sucking on the juices helps to take their mind off their sore gums at the same time as soothing them. I know this can be a bit messy but it works.

Amanda, WA, Tiffany.

HI all

My son Nicholas, 5 months, must be teething as he is very grizzly, hardley sleeps (he is not the only one!), crys constantly, screams out in pain while gnawing at his fists or fingers, and won't let me touch his gums.
Now - is this teething or am I going insane?

He has also been constipated today, and has produced this hard kind of poo - is this also a sign or something else?

Can anyone offer any advice on how long afer symptoms start to get really bad (so far it has been about a week) before the actual teeth come out?

HELP!

Jackie, Nicholas 5.5yrs, Annaliese, 4 yrs

I LOVE the apple in the stocking idea - I'm off to the supermarket first thing in the morning!!

Fletcher was pretty much sleeping through the night until about a month ago when he got both bottom teeth together. We have pretty much had 3 or 4 weeks of waking up through the night - varying from hourly to 3 or 4 hourly. It seems now though (touchwood) that he has settled back down.......for now.

I have used Panadol, the teethers that you keep in the fridge, SM33 (like Bonjela, but I think it's better), but I am hanging out for Happy Baby's new "Gummys". They are like dummies, but have a little teether on the end shaped to fit completely inside bubs mouth - look FANTASTIC! Just read about them in Melbourne's Child this month....

Leanne, VIC, 10mth son - Fletcher

Hi to everyone,
Good to read about these topics.
My son Luke is 8 months and got 2 bottom teeth at 5 months and in last weeks is cutting 4 teeth at the top - all at once. He has been clingy and miserable. I use panadol only at night when he is doing the "pain cry" which helps and I also use Brauer Teething liquid" - this is alternative and natural. You can use this with the gels and panadol. It has natural herbs like chamomile which I am noticing does calm him down. Also the Womens and Childrens hospital here in Adelaide using a gel which I get from my chemist and is the same - Xylocaine 2% Jelly with chlorhexidine. It is strong - try it on your mouth - but seems to help.

Bec, Hobart, Luke 3 / Charlie 11wks (16/4/06)

I totally relate!!!

The only piece of advice I have is that Nurofen comes in children's doses as well. The advantages of it over Panadol is that it last for a little longer 6-8 hours rather than 4 (so longer sleep!) and it is also an anti-inflammatory - good for swollen gums.

This is all stuff I've heard from the Nurofen people - not from personal experience because you can't use Nurofen before 6 months and Hannah is younger than that.

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Sign in to follow this topic