Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. This worked for me to get my babies to sleep

This worked for me to get my babies to sleep Rss

Hi,

Just wanted to share a tip for getting your babies to sleep.

Put a small radio in their room and tune it so that its 'in between stations'. Just so there is that crackling sound. Turn up the volume so its as loud as their crying. Its actually called 'white noise' and its fabulous for families with lots of noise in the house or little ones who can't put themselves to sleep. It blocks out all surrounding noises that might wake them. I know it sounds wierd but it truly works. Its just like when the vaccuum is going and it puts them to sleep.

I have used it with all 3 of my kids and haven't had many problems with their sleeping. My youngest boy is now 6 months and he can sleep with or without it, but if he's really upset, I put it on and he drifts off to sleep in time at all.

You will find that they will not need it as much as they get older (8 or 9 months) but it teaches them to put themselves to sleep. It can be started at any time but is best started before 12 months old.

Please give it a try and let me know how you go.

Goodluck

Natalie
Hi Natalie

I also use this and most of the time it helps to settle my daughter.Unfortunately it never helps her to sleep longer though(she is a great catnapper sleeping 20 or 30 mins at a time). I have been trying to get her to sleep longer since she was born basically.(nearly 5 months now!!).
But the radio definately helps to settle her thats for sure
We have just tried a radio in our bub's room to hopefully get her to sleep longer during the day also (she sleeps fine at night). It didn't work but then we had it on a radio station. I think I'll try the "white noise" idea and see how we go with that.

Goodluck

Please let me know how you go.

Nat
Hi Nat,

I tried this out yesterday for Olivia's daytime naps. Unfortunately all she did was scream so I had to turn it off.

Olivia actually goes to sleep fine, our problem is that during the day she wakes up after about 40 mins and usually won't go back to sleep even though she is very tired. At night she is asbolutely fine and can settle herself if she wakes.

Today I am trying to extend the time she is awake between naps in an attempt to get her to sleep longer. It seems good today. Olivia woke after 40 mins as usual but then after 2 settling attempts she is back asleep again, hooray.

Since we brought Olivia home we have always kept the noise around the house normal, Tv blaring, washing machine and drying going. Maybe that's enough "White Noise" for her.

Hi Bri
I have relaxation music playing continuously for my sons day sleeps.
We were the same as you no problems at night but during the day was completely different. I found that the music calms Liam down and if he does wake or go into a light sleep mode it puts him back to sleep. He used to sleep for about 30-60 minutes but now we get at least 1 1/2 hours in the morning (usually about 2 though) and minimu of 1 hour in the afternoon.
Maybe borrow some from your library to see if it works rather than buying them straight away. Liam has a whole range to choose from.
Kristy

P.S. he wasn't fussed with the white noise either, and I have never tiptoed around him. I can vacuum under his cot and he'll stay asleep.

member since 2004

i found that it makes no difference with the actual settling, but it does help to keep her from waking up if there's a noise. if it's dead quiet in her room she wakes up to the tap turning on and any other little noise, but the "white noise" on the radio blocks that out enough to keep her asleep. She still only sleeps for 10 or 15 minutes, but without it she's woken up after 5 minutes and doesn't go back down. it's an excellent idea.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic