Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. To all the mums of catnapper babies:

To all the mums of catnapper babies: Rss

Hi Briony

Tayla is still throwing in the occasional catnap but i guess she usually has two 1 hour sleeps a day now.
Im having a lot of trouble getting her to sleep lately. She is crawling and standing up now so getting her to lay down is a complete nightmare. She is very overtired by the time she falls asleep. Nightime is not very good...she constantly wakes. have no idea why! Maybe seperation anxiety. Im also trying to cut out the night feeds but its very hard when you just want to go back to sleep sad
Olivia is regularly having a bit longer sleep after lunch so that's my break during the day.

As for the night. She still sleeps very well but does cry out a couple of times a night. Most of the time it's just a matter of rewrapping her and giving her her dummy and she's fine. She doesn't move much yet so we don't have that problem, YET.

I have to wrap her for her sleeps otherwise she swings her arms around or pulls out her dummy and won't go to sleep.

Hi Briony

Im so sorry i forgot to ask you how Olivia was yesterday- how rude of me!!
Im glad she is sleeping a bit longer for you now. Tayla is a bit all over the place today. Had a 2 hour sleep this morning and just had a half an hour one then. She likes to keep me in suspense.
I am wrapping Tayla for her sleeps lately too because she just wants to stand up..damn it.

I hope Olivia doesnt crawl and stand in the cot for you when it comes time to do these things, it drives ya nuts
Hi Lara

Alynta went through a bit of this when she got to about 4wks (to that point she'd been brillant) and after a few weeks of going crazy, we ended up getting her an Amby Natures Nest Baby Hammock which worked quite well and we basically got the required results. We still likeand use the hammock, but I really wish that I had been given some of the following info when she was really little rather than so late on. It probably would have saved lots of stress.

When Alynta about 5 1/2 months she suddenly stopped sleeping through. As a result of this and me getting tired I got lazy and started pulling her into bed with me then we'd both fall off to sleep. The problems really started when she wasn't able to go back to sleep without being in bed with me and without a feed. The tireder I got, the worse the problem got and she began waking even more (anywhere from 3 to 8 times in a night and demanding feeds every time) Both she and I got tireder and grumpier until finally a friend loaned me a book called 'Babywise' when Ally was about 8months.

What a Godsend, it guides you through what they call PDF or Parent directed Feeding and within 1 1/2 - 2 wks, she was not only sleeping through, but was also having structured daytime sleeps aswell. Oh Happy family! One of the really important things with PDF is that the baby is fed as soon as they wake, then they have some awake/play time and then are put to bed. It takes a little patience especially if you're starting late like we did, but it's well worth the pay off of an amazingly happyand content baby.

Alynta is now just over 12months and everything is still going great because the book helped us learn and lay some basic foundations. Her grandparents are amazed at the difference in her and our sanity has been saved. It also solved our clinginess problems.

You may need also to check out the second in the series which is Babywise 2 and deals with 6 - 15 month olds more specifically, but the first one will give you all the foundational info you need.

Hope this helps, would love to know how you go. If you want anymore info, let me know.
Hi Lara,

How are thing's going with Tayla? Still keeping you in suspense?

I don't know how but Olivia has made major improvements in her sleeping. Now that I've typed that it'll probably change again, Ha Ha Ha (I hope not).

Olivia always gets wrapped to sleep otherwise she flings her arms around and won't sleep. The other night was very warm here in Melb and we just couldn't get Olivia to go to sleep. In the end we unwrapped her and put her to bed and she fell asleep straight away. It was like she just wanted out of the wrap.

Since then she has also been having her daytime sleeps without her wrap. It has been a little harder to get her to sleep but not too bad. Without the wrap she would only sleep for 30 minutes during the day. Yesterday afternoon we had a breakthough, she slept for an hour and a half. I ended up having to wake her because it was getting late in the afternoon.

As for her night sleeping, a few months ago she went from sleeping all night to waking up about 4 times a night to be rewrapped and given back her dummy. I thought this would get worse without her wrap but the second night she only woke twice for her dummy. Last night she didn't wake at all! It was great. It's a pity I'm so used to getting up to her though because I still woke up about 4 times last night. Hopefully if she does this more often I'll get out of the habit of waking up too (o:

I'm going to make the most of this because before I know it we'll be at your stage and I'll be dealing with a baby who wants to stand instead of sleep.

Sorry for such a long email but it feels great to have such improvement in her sleeping.

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

Hi Briony

Im so glad that olivia is sleeping a bit longer now. Maybe she will continue to sleep better without the wrap??

Tayla is confusing me at the moment. Sometimes she will sleep 1 or 2 hours and then throw in a catnap of 20 mins for the next sleep. Overall she is getting enough sleep though and seems pretty happy. She has been crawling absolutely everywhere and just starting to cruise around the furniture. She thinks she is sooooo good too!

Watch out it wont be long til youre running after olivia. Its kind of sad now that tayla is more independant. She doesnt seem like a little baby anymore, more like a toddler. They grow so fast.

Keep in touch:)
Hi Shani

I am scan reading the postings and I came across yours. You said you got the Amby Hammock - I have just purchased it too and am waiting for the delivery. It is my very last option before I tear my hair out and may have to consider sending 7 month old Keegan to Ngala ie sleep school! (which I'm reluctant to) Are you still putting Alynta in the hammock for day and night time sleeps?
I also breastfeed Keegan to sleep with me in bed....something I never intended to, but like you, succumbed to.
Who is the author of Babywise - can we just get it at a bookshop or can I purchase this over the net? (sorry if you have replied to these queries but I haven't had the chance to fully read other postings)
Look forward to hearing from you!

Frazzled mom, loving it tho'

Hey Cynth,

Thanks for mailing me. Sorry to hear you're having such a struggle. I know just how you feel.

Our hammock is great! We do still use it for Alynta for both day and night sleeps. We're just at the stage now when we need to get a second spring for it to start taking the extra weight, (13kg +) but are planning on continuing with it as long as she's happy, probably 'til she's around 2ish.

The Amby Hammock helped our probs alot to begin with, but unfortunately it didn't last. Although they are great, I don't believe they are the solution.

With the Babywise book, (full title 'On Becoming Baby Wise' written by Gary Ezzo & Robert Bucknam) they teach that like everything else that your baby learns, they need to LEARN how to have good sleeping patterns and routine. This of course doesn't mean that there's never a bad night or whatever, (funniest thing, after I did all of my original postings, I had a few really bad days/nights with Alynta) it just means that when it happens, you'll know that there really is a problem (teething or whatever).

These days Ally consistently sleeps 10-11.30, 2.30-4.30 then 7.30pm til 7/7.30am. It's so great, not only to be able to plan your life, but also that she's so much happier on the whole. (Now I figured why she was always so grumpy before - she really needed all this sleep, she just wasn't getting it).

I have checked on Angus & Robertson and Collins booksellers web sites and 'BabyWise' is available through both however they do source it from the US. Last I checked, there were some copies available over EBay, also from USA. The prices were very reasonable, but they did seem to mostly be the 1998 revision. Probably still fine, but the latest I'm aware of is 2001. Also, the book is available through a national Christian bookstore site: www.word.com.au . Just do an ALL PRODUCTS search for 'Baby Wise' from the homepage. They seem to carry it in stock and so it's a bit cheaper than the other bookstores (about $16 compared to $23ish) and you can order online I believe.

If you're interested, the homepage for the actual book series is www.parentwisesolutions.com . It isn't a retail site, but has a bit of a rundown on it.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope I've covered everything for you. If you have any more questions, or there's anything else I can do, let me know.

I'd love to hear how you go. grin

Hi Lara,

How is Tayla going? She must be so close to walking if she isn't already?!?! Is her sleeping any better?

Olivia has been rolling around on the floor for a couple of weeks now. She's just getting better and better at it. I don't think she's going to be a hands and knees crawler though because she scoots forward a bit when she's sitting on her bottom, LOL.

As for her sleeping. Olivia has a morning nap within 2 hours of first waking up. This nap is between 25 - 45 minutes. Her next nap is around 1pm in the afternoon and is anywhere between 30 mins - 1 & half hours (very occassionally 2 hours). THis then gets her through till about 7 or 8pm at night.

I'm green with envy when a friend tells me her bub sleeps for 2 hours in the morning and then 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon but I guess I'm used to Olivia's sleeping habits now and just work around them. It is getting better as she gets older and moves more. When I think about what she was like at 4 months when she was having 5 20 minute sleeps per day, that was bad.

Hi Briony

Yes! Tayla is very close to walking.She can now take 3 or 4 steps before stacking it! Im hoping she will be walking by christmas, because the whole family will be there and it would just be great to show her off! Haha, just joking. I really dont mind because she is so cute just crawling around the place, and i suppose once they start walking thats the end of babyhood.
It sounds like Olivia loves to roll. Tayla never really rolled. She did it a few times when she was 3 or 4 months but after that i didnt really see it until she was 8 months or so.Although its a different story now.Whenever i want to change her nappy she rolls over and crawls away. Not very amusing when ive been trying to change her for 20 mins.
As for her sleeping habits, they havent changed much. Sometimes its a long sleep and sometimes 25 mins. The good thing now though, is that she can stay up a lot longer than before. On the weekend we went to a christmas party and she was having such a ball playing with the other kids that she stayed awake for 6 1/2 hours.As soon as i put her in the car she was fast asleep.I dont think she has ever been awake that long before though!

Anyway, i hope you have a great xmas with olivia and keep us posted
Hi Lara,

How is Tayla going? Is she walking on her own now? How's her sleeping going?

Olivia started to crawl while we were on holiday over Christmas which was fantastic. Not sure how this has effected her sleeping yet as we have only just gotten home. I have to try to get her back into her normal routine now and see how she goes.

Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year
Bri

Just wanted to say thank you to especially Lara and Bri for there inspiration. I have read most of your correspondence and have found some new energy to keep going with my own little catnapper. Bryce is now 11 weeks old and sleeps wonderfully during the night usually from 11pm or 12am until 7am or 8am in the morning. I then feed him and then I commit the biggest NO! NO! and put him in bed with me where we both have little 10 minute snoozes until 11am. Bryce stays up for pretty much the rest of the day - give or take a 10 minute snooze here and there. Bryce has had bad colic and fluffed (farted) a lot as well as crying/screaming all day until about 2 weeks ago. I took him to see a young Chiropracter who uses SOT and I believe this has helped him tremendously. I have tried control comforting/crying in the earlier weeks but my heart was breaking and I couldn't continue. I thought about what the controlled comforting was telling me and I believe that if you stick to certain triggers the baby knows what is expected. I always put Bryce down for a nap straight after a bath or shower and that usually works for a little nap of about 30mins to 1hr. Deep warm baths are great for girgling tummies to. I have found also that if Bryce has a swim in the late afternoons (which he loves) he uses a lot of energy and by the time he has had his shower after the swim he has another nap of about 45mins. He then stays awake until he has a shower again with Daddy at around 10 or 11pm and winds down for his night sleep. Boy, now that I have written this down it doesn't seem so bad in comparison to others who have told their stories. I guess the rageing hormones make things feel alot worse then what they are at times. Again thank you to you and the other women for giving me strength and some good advice.

Tanja QLD - Bryce 19/10/04

Sign in to follow this topic