Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 10 months still wakes for night feeds

10 months still wakes for night feeds Rss

at nearly 10 months old my baby still wakes for a bottle in the middle of the night, he is usually up at 7.30 am goes to bed approx 9.30pm with two 1 hour naps during the day. He will wake up at least twice sometimes 5-6 times usually every time he will require some milk to settle down. I know this is probably more for comfort than anything else. I have a friend whose baby the same age puts herself to sleep and will sleep for 12 hours every night....what a dream.

Do you think he will just grow out of it?

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hi Sandra. Im just wondering if he is using a dummy. Does he have one as maybe he wants a comfort suck?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

No, he has never really used one however I have tried it but that dosen't work, he will sometimes grizzle until he gets the bottle, other times it is easier I just have to cuddle and pat his back for a few minutes. I have also tried giving him a big dinner so his stomach is full, someone told me to put a little rice cereal in his bottle before bed to also fill his stomach all this dosen't work for me : (

I hope to return to some part-time work after he is one year old but unless he is sleeping through how can I get up in the morning fresh for work?
I'm hoping he will grow out of it soon, maybe I just created a bad habit too hard to break!

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hi Scorpion,

My son is also 10 months and still waking for night feeds. Over the last couple of weeks I have weened him onto the bottle (due to a number of factors) and I thought this would help but it hasn't. He has only recently started using his cot - we were co sleeping. I'm a single mum and I work one full day and two afternoons a week and the lack of sleep can take it's toll. However I find that going to work gives me a little space and perspective too. I really enjoy my job and I miss my boy when I'm away so when I come home it doesn't seem as bad!

I read your post on PND and your son sounds very similar to mine. I went to my GP recently because I was sure I was losing it. I was always so angry and at little stupid things. He said it was likely lack of sleep and went through some suggestions as to how to get on track.

I was always against controlled comforting but at this point I was at my lowest and was willing to try anything at all. So I went home and did the 2-4-6-8-10 thing. It took two and a half hours the first time, an hour and a half the next and half an hour the next and now he goes off to sleep at regular times twice a day for at least an hour. (Unless he's teething). He still doesn't sleep through but I really believe he must need that night feed as he drinks a full 200mls.

It's never too late to change, babies are learning all the time. The 2-4-6-8-10 thing isn't so hard because you are regularly going in and soothing them so it's not like bubs is crying for hours. I've gone from co-sleeping and having a bub who was sometimes up till 1am and having half an hour of sleep during the day to having my own bed and at least 5 hours of solid sleep a night.

Feel free to email me if you want me to explain or even post you the information I used or even if you just want a chat. nat_rab@yahoo.com
Hi Sandra,

My son is 3 weeks off 1yo, and he still has a bottle EVERYNIGHT too. sad I know the answer is to stop it and put up with a bad week, but i just never seem to have the energy to do that. Just about everyday i say, today i will start, the night comes and i think it will be so much better just giving him a bottle.

Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one out there.

Let me know if you have any break thru,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi All

Just wondering if someone can explain to me how the controlled crying 2-4-6-8-10 works... My daughter will be 9 months on Saturday and has become unsettled at night. During the day she has two sleeps and does not give me any trouble then. But at during the night she will wake up and i will feed her (even though they say she doesn't need it) and then when i put her back to sleep she is unsettled. I tend to give her a bottle when she wakes at night cos i dont think it is fair to settle her to sleep if she is hungry.

I think babies become unsettled at this age due to separation. Just hope this will eventually change for the better. Surley at 12 months of age it gets better!!!!!!

thanks
First time mum
Hi First Time Mum.

The 2,4,6,8,10 thing works like this. You pick a good bed time for you and your bub. I chose 7:30, Ezrah's had dinner, a bath and time to play. He has his last bottle at 6:30 or 7. Then we sit quiet and cuddle or read. I then make sure we say goodnite to whoever is here (nana, uncle etc.) and we go to the bedroom and I put him in his cot. I turn his music box (which goes for two mins) and stroke his head and say good nite and leave the room.

If he cries, I let him go for 2 mins, I then go in and pat him saying "It's sleep time, it's alright". I keep soothing him for 2 mins. I then say good nite again and leave, this time for 4 mins. If he's crying at the end of 4 mins I go in and do the soothing again for 4 mins. Then I leave for 6, 8, 10. If he's still crying at the end of the 10 mins I go in, check his nappy, offer him a drink and give him a cuddle. Then we start again. Each 2,4,6,8,10 adds up to an hour.

The first time I did it it took 2.5 hours, the next was only 1.5 etc. I did it with his day and nite sleeps. I picked 2 day times when I knew he got tired and I've stuck to them. I give him about half an hour's leeway because nothing is set in stone. So in the morning he'll go down between 9:30 and 10:30. In the afternoon it is between 2:30 and 3:30.

It took about 3 days. Now he comes to me ready for a sleep and soesn't cry unless he needs to poo or is a little it thirsty or something is wrong. Then once I've fixed it, off he goes.

I found he 2,4,6 thing a little easier because I got to go into him. It didn't seem like he was screaming forever. He also learnt that I would come back and that I wasn't far away.

He's is a different baby now. He is so happy now and doesn't mind if I'm not in his line of vision 24/7 because he know's I'm there and will be back.

I have an article if you would like more info.

I'm not saying that everyone should do this my way. But this method has made life easier for me and Ezrah. Babie are each their own little people as much as we are and what works on one may not suit another. Good luck, whatever your way may be!
Hi Tanith

Thanks heaps for your reply. It is much appreciated. Just to let you know that my little girl is now 9 months old and is currectly cutting her two top teeth. Last night she woke up for two feeds- one at 11pm and another at 4.30am.. One both occasions she drank most of the 200mls too. I think that due to her teeth coming thru it has decreased her appeiate by the day and is now getting hungry at night as i result. I just feel that i have a newborn with all of this feeding. At one stage around 3 mths ago she was sleeping right thru till 8am. Hope one day those days come back. I am just thinking that maybe i should try this settling technique when my little one wakes in the night. But i think that if i give her a bottle it is the easiet thing for both of us.

Anyway, i would love a copy of that article that you mentioned..Best wishes to you.

Thanks again..
First time mum.
My son is now 10 months old and he too wakes up at night to have bottle feeds. One night recently he had 6 full 250mls between 6 pm and 6am. Since his birth, I have not had a stretch of more than 4 hours of sleep and that was only twice. He has a dummy but won't go down unless he sleeps next to me or my husband. We have tried everything and I mean everything. My greatest consolation was when another friend exclaimed that her son, who is now an adult, and who rarely slept for the first two years of his life, which reduced my friend to bang her head against walls with sleep deprivation, her son is a genius and is now an engineer.
Perhaps you and I both have bright babies?! My little Logan certainly seems to show some degree of skills, having started to walk at just over 8 months, so, maybe there is some truth in it. Time will tell, but for now, it's back to being cranky, snap happy, sleep deprived monster mum who cannot string a sentence together in daylight.

Mum 2 Skaie, Alyxanthe & Logan

Sign in to follow this topic