Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 9 month old unsettled at night

9 month old unsettled at night Rss

Hi,

My 9 month old baby is very unsettled at night. He is fine during the day but only get's unsettled during the night. It has now happened 2 nights in a row, when he wakes up 4-5 times and needs re-settling. He hasn't been like this for a long time, he normally sleeps from approx 7pm - 7am with not a peep out of him. There are no signs that he is sick, he eats well, nappy changes are fine, no fever and no signs of teething. He is fine when I put him to bed, does not cry or carry on.

Is it a growth spurt? Has anyone been through this with their 9 month old?

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sammie,
Sorry to say, but my daughter was the same. She slept right through the night until 7am and then one day decided to start waking. It's been 2 months now and still I dont see any light at the end of the tunnel. I still put her to bed the same time, but I have stopped wrapping her (last three nights) and I'm trying a sleep bag, so far it's made no difference. Sorry sammy, but I to would like to know if others have experienced this. Does your baby have a dummy, cause Liana does and I have been told to try to get rid of it because they cause sleep problems. I dont know where to start!!!

Kerryn, SA, baby girl 20/11/03

Hi there,

My 8 month old girl has had the flu the best part of 2 months now. We decided to let her sleep with us to keep warm and now she refuses to sleep in her cot. Because I breastfeed, she had the convienience of latching on all night when she felt like it, for comfort mostly. She sleeps soundly at midnight with a few wakings and through until 10am.She never had a dummy and refuses that too thankfully. If I feed her in her room until she sleeps and then put her down she wakes the instant I pull away.

My husband gets pushed into the spare room as she pretty much pushes him off the bed trying to snuggle. It's now snowballing into many problems. I have tried control crying etc with not much luck as she she has just cut her first tooth, nothing seems to work.

Can anybody relate? I need advice on how to get her sleeping in her cot all night.

Kim ,QLD ,8 mth baby

My son is now 61/2 months old and also seems to suddenly be waking up. From 6 weeks old he slept from 6pm till 6am but now for the past week and a half he has been waking up every hour on the hour and wont go back to sleep until I go in and resettle him, either giving him the dummy or fixing a blanket or sheet. It is extremely tiring and am looking forward to the night where he will actually sleep through again. I have no idea why he is doing this, he has plenty of food and bottles during the day, so it cant be that he's hungry and he's rugged up enough so he really cant be cold. Any suggestions?
Hi All

My little one is 9 months on Saturday and has also began to be unsettled at night. She is fine during the day and gives me no trouble to sleep. But at night time it is a different story. I am doing some type of controlled crying - just going in and out of her room when she seems really upset. I think it is a separation thing..

Hope it get better for all of us..

First time mum
my 9 mth old girl has started waking regularly at night. only solution is to pop her in bed with me. is fine during the day.

is there anyone who has gone thru this and come out the otherside? when does separation anxiety go???
Hi Everyone

A little while ago my son started waking of a night again after months of sleeping through. At first I thought he might be teething again and I spent several days racking my brain trying to work out what it was - then I realised he was too cold of a night. It was so simple I don't know why I didn't think of that first tongue ! Anyhow since then I've been putting an extra sleeping bag on him and we bought a small column heater for his room which I leave on all night - I never wanted to put a heater in his room but our house is so cold and he won't sleep under his blankets so it's the only way to keep him warm. I know this probably isn't the case with all of your babies - but there seems to be a lot who are having trouble sleeping of a night all of a sudden.

Hi GGholly

Sorry I haven't been in contact smile . My son went through separation anxiety only of a night when he was about 7 months old - he was fine during the day but he'd just scream when I put him to bed of a night. I spoke to our clinic nurse and she said it sounded like separation anxiety as there was no other reason for it. She said just keep up with our normal bedtime routine and comfort and reassure him and it will pass. It took about a month but it did finally pass and he's been brilliant ever since - so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps
Jasmine smile
Hi Sammie. Same thing has happened to me. But has been happening since 5 months and Im putting it down to teething. I just put the dummy back into his mouth. I cant really do controlled crying at night. My husband has to be up at 6am and needs his sleep to function properly at work. So if he keeps crying I give him panadol. That really helps. Has Jordan got any teeth yet? I think he is the same age as my boy. Im waiting for his top teeth and they are taking their time as the bottom ones came smack bang on the 7 month mark. Let us know of your progress.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

hi Jas thanks!

I have not been on the site lately, now with Gg not sleeping i am like help!!!!!!!!

I am worried about getting her into bad habits, but i would rather that than leave her to cry. When she sleeps with me at night her little hand has to be touching mine so she knows i am there. I moved the my pillow over and she had been touching that and woke when she thought she could not feel me.

i am tossing about teaching her to sleep or just go with the flow for now.

i am so glad it worked out for you, does your little man sleep through now? or can he self settle??

thanks for your support

kathy
Hi JZ,

Some nights are now better than others. My baby boy is now 10 months old generally has an unsettled night maybe 3 times a week. He isn't teething, I don't think, he has his bottom two teeth and top front two teeth (has had for a couple of months). When he is unsettled I pick him up and give him a cuddle which works, then when I lay down with him on the sofa in his room he gets really unsettled again. He won't sleep or settle unless he's in his cot. I know it's a good thing but there isn't much I can do when he's unsettled other than give him a cuddle, put his dummy in his mouth and tuck him in. I think it's strongly related to seperation anxiety because as soon as I leave the room and close the door he starts crying again. Any suggestions?

Mum to toddler

Hi Sammie. I wish I knew the magic answer. I read in Robin Barker's Baby Love book that they start waking again around 4 or 5 months again because they are start dreaming around that age. Ive been thinking the longer I hang around after he has woken he gets more cranky because he's tired. So I just leave the room and he soons settles. If he is still crying I give Panadol as last resort. That is my method for a peaceful night. Good luck!

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

My baby boy started waking in the night at 4 months, and has done so ever since. Firstly it was only once in the night, and I would breastfeed him and put him back to bed. The last few weeks it has been 4 or 5 times a night, and I have finally realised why! I think he was cold. I wrap him in a cot sheet, knitted blanket and polar fleece blanket, but his head is cold because he hasn't got any hair! So, he's been sleeping in his portacot in our loungeroom with the heater on at night, and now he is back to waking once only! Oh, I also weaned him from the dummy about a month ago because I thought it was causing more waking problems at night.

SA, 2 boys

Sign in to follow this topic