Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. trying to sleep through the night

trying to sleep through the night Lock Rss

hi ladies, i have a 16week old DD and for the past 5 nights i've been missing her 1-2am feed as advised by my nurse. she said to feed her just before i go to bed (around 10-11pm) and then she said to just give her the dummy if she wakes again cos i shouldn't feed her till 5:30-6:30am. but she did say to expect them to wake up out of habit
usually if she ever did make a stir in the night,(besides waking to feed), i'd give her the dummy and she would go straight back to sleep. where as now she wakes up at least 5-6 times and each and every time i must pat,sing and sway her in her bed. it's exhausting!
is this normal?? has it happened to any of u? and how long did it take before ur child broke the habit, and slept through??

Angela

Emilia 18/8/08 smile

16 weeks is still a bit young to expect a baby to sleep straight thru without a feed. Experts believe that a baby is capable of sleeping thru the night at about 6 mths. I am surprised that the nurse has advised you to just give the your dd a dummy instead. At this age it is normal to expect a feed at least once during the night and the reason that your DD is unsettled maybe because she's hungry and therefore keeps waking up.
She will let you know when she's ready to drop her night feed, i wouldn't try to rush her into it. My DS is now 6 1/2 mths. He dropped his night feed at about 5 1/2 mths with a dreamfeed at 10:30pm.

i agree with pp. sounds too young for me and i am very surprised that a nurse would provide you with that type of advice.
Every baby is different. What your nurse said may be fine for some babies but at 16 weeks your baby may well still need that feed at 1-2 am. She'll drop it in her own time. Don't try to rush her into things because of what someone else thinks she should be doing, you'll just find yourself stressing over something that is normal for your baby. Take your lead from her. She is the one who best knows when she needs to feed. Best wishes.
Sorry computers gone crazy and posted 4 times.
[Edited on 11/12/2008]
Every baby is different. What your nurse said may be fine for some babies but at 16 weeks your baby may well still need that feed at 1-2 am. She'll drop it in her own time. Don't try to rush her into things because of what someone else thinks she should be doing, you'll just find yourself stressing over something that is normal for your baby. Take your lead from her. She is the one who best knows when she needs to feed. Best wishes.
Hi, I hope your bubby is sleeping better now.
I know that you're meant to do a "dream feed" but we never bothered as I always went to bed at night when bubs did - aboiut 8.30-9 in the early days. Gradually she started sleeping longer and waking less and I always fed her when she woke and trusted that eventually she would sleep through, we got lucky at 5 weeks that that happened but with teething at 5 months she started wanting feeds regularly so did the same thing and eventually now at 6 months she is back to sleeping through.
Hard but they get there in the end, and yes we have had some times where she hasn't wanted feeds and we've had to leave her to cry...
thanks for all your advice ladies. that does make sense. cos i am actually cutting out 2 feeds, there was one at 12ish then again at 4ish, but nurse said to dream feed at 10ish then not again till 5:30! so she probably is just hungry poor hunni! i feel awful! could that explain why she is unsettled through out the day?

A nurse at Ngala (WA Sleep clinic) said that babies deep sleep is in the early eve, and waking for dream feeds interrupts this and can make sleep probs worse. I stopped doing dream feeds and now feed at 12.30pm, then at 5am, and get more sleep. With a dream feed it was feed at 10 then up at 12.30, then 12.40, then 1 etc etc it was exhausting. Easier just to do the feed and go to bed until the next. Bubs is 5 months old.

Just my opinion but I think you should keep feeding them until they don't want it anymore. My bub dropped her 2-3am feed at 6 weeks and now sleeps 12 hours straight. She did it by herself, I think most babies do that in their own time.
i would be ignoring the advice from that nurse...i don't believe in cutting out a feed until a baby is ready for it. my ds has always decided on that for himself, even just recently when he got to around 6 months he would make a huge fuss when i went to give him a bottle every 3 hours. after wasting a few bottles of formula i figured out it was his way of telling me that he wasn't ready for one, he has them every 4 hours now, so is drinking 4 bottles a day, which is what he should be having anyway!

as for night feeds i could usually tell if he was hungry or not, by how awake he was when i went in. if he was very drowsy his dummy would settle him. if wide awake he wanted a bottle. he still wakes now at 4am-ish for a bottle, but i don't want to try to stretch him longer as i feel he isn't ready for that or he wouldn;t wake at the same time every night!

Sign in to follow this topic