Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Bassinet to cot Rss

My 4 month old is nearly too big for his bassinet & I would like to move him to his cot. I realise I should do this gradually as he is already an unsettled sleeper, just wondering if anyone has suggestions of how I should go about this? Also, does anyone else's angel wake up cranky & crying every time they wake up or should I try to be settling him to sleep for longer rather than get him up.

Nothing seems to be going right at the moment & would love some suggestions.

Kylie, NSW mum to Jamie 9/2/04 + Grace 1/2/07

Hi kxerri

It is difficult to know what to do where our baby's sleep is concerned sometimes isn't it!!

I moved my daughter from her bassinet to her cot when she was about 12 weeks old. What I did to ease her into the change was put her in her cot for some of her day sleeps and increased that till all of her day sleeps were in her cot. Then I started putting her in the cot at night and I had no trouble. I think I found the change harder than she did!! Sometimes when a baby is too big for their bassinet they can bang hands and feet on the sides which can disturb their sleep - this happened with my baby.

From my experience when my daughter wakes up from a nap cranky, she either hasn't had enough sleep and is still tired or is hungry. If you can rule out the possibility of hunger, perhaps trying to re settle would help but I can't really say without more info on how long his naps are etc.

Also my baby started sleeping all night once in her cot. I don't know if it was coincidence or not but moving to the cot might help with the unsettled sleep.

Good Luck and let us know how you go.

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Kxerri,
I moved my son into his cot when he was 7 weeks old. His sleep improved overnight (nightime ones at least), we did it gradually with day sleeps. We decided to do it at night also when we went to hubby's xmas party and he was looked after by my parents and slept the night in our spare room with them. I had always planned to put him into his room straight away but I had a c-section and with a long hallway we decided it would be easier at night if he was in the room with us.
I agree with what has been said about it could be either hunger or still sleepy when he wakes up. Maybe if you know he's not sue for a feed and should have a fairly dry/clean bottom then it would be he's still tired. You could try resettle him to see if he'll go back off to sleep. He may have woken himself up by hitting himself or the sides of the bassinet. You may find that this ceases when you make the move to the cot.
Or he could be one of those people who take a while to wake up even when they've had enough sleep. know I can be like that sometimes.
Hope this has helped you in some way.
Kristy

member since 2004

Thankyou for your suggestions, I have started him in his bassinet in his cot today for 2 sleeps so far & he seems to be doing ok. Jamie naps for about 40 minutes each time & at night he still wakes up for a couple of feeds & wakes to get up at 4am. I put him to sleep around 7pm. I've just started him on solids. Hopefully that might fill his belly for longer.

I am a first time mum & loose confidence in myself sometimes whereas I should be persisting in settling him rather than getting him up. I don't think hunger is an issue, he feeds regularly.

I'll see how we go.

Thankyou

Kylie, NSW mum to Jamie 9/2/04 + Grace 1/2/07

Kylie,
Up until my son was about 6 months old he still woke for a feed at about 5 or 6 am. He usually went to bed around 8pm. Sometimes if he woke during the night I would send my husband down to resettle him as Liam knew that if he played up long enough with me I would eventually give in and feed him, but dad wouldn't. I also tried giving him bottled water, but it didn't work, in the hope that he would realise that it wasn't worth waking up.
He then started sleeping 10-12hours, but since his teeth have cut through he wakes at about 5 anf I give him some teething gel and his dummy and he drops straight back off to sleep.
You sound like you're doing a great job with your son and parenting is all trial and error. What works for one doesn't work for others and usually when you think you've got things sussed, the little buggers change on you.
You could also try putting the bassinette in his room so he adjusts to his room first, we also did everything in there, clothed and changed bum, so he was used to his room from the day we got home.
Good luck.
Kristy

member since 2004

I put Hannah's bassinet inside her cot so she got used to the cot. I did this for about a week, then put her straight in her cot for the daytimes naps and kept the bassinet in the cot at night for another 2 weeks. She got used to it that way. As for bub waking up cranky, my daughter sometimes does that, i just take her outside and she gets over it fast. Just look at your sleeping baby and think "what a beautifull little angel, i'm such a good mum" because it's true.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic