Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How much sleep is your 10 -12 month old getting.

How much sleep is your 10 -12 month old getting. Rss

I wanted to know as my little guy is almost 11 months and for the last 4 weeks his morning sleeps last half and hour. He is up from about 7.30 to 8.00am for 3 to 3 1/2 hours then I put him down at about 11.00 am then he is awake at 11.30.
he may sleep an hour or 2 in the afternoon. Im sure he is phasing out his morning sleep? Any thoughts?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi JZ,

Yes my boy who just turned 10 months old is sleeping less and less. It seems that just before he turned 10 months old, he went through an overnight change. He was sleeping less during the day and very unsettled at night. Now that seems to have settled down a bit. The paediatrician said it was a growth spurt, plus seperation anxiety. He also said that as they get older they need less sleep. I find that if my little man didn't want the morning sleep, that was fine as long as he had a mid-day nap. I find that works well because it means that he's not so cranky late afternoon and hard to settle at night.

Mum to toddler

I have a 10 1/2 month old girl. She goes down for her morning sleep at 9.30am until around 10.30-11am, afternoon sleep at 1.30 until around 3.00pm and then her night sleep at 6.30-7pm although her night sleep she wakes a few times and has never slept through the night since day 1!!!!!

I hope this helps you!!

Regards,

Belinda & Jordyn
Hi Everyone,

My son is 13 months, so just a bit older!

He started doing the quick sleep in the morning at about 10 months, and still does. He is extremely tired, but wakes in about 40 mins. Some days he will have a huge sleep then, but not very often. We call it recharging his batteries.

One thing that is also the same, he has a great sleep after lunch, anytime from 1100am, for about 2 hrs!

So maybe they aren't cutting out the sleep altogether, just don't need as much!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi

My daughter is just over 10 months and has just started having a shorter morning nap. She usually sleeps for about 40 mins in the morning and then is awake around 3 1/2 to 4 hours before going down for an afternoon sleep. The afternoon sleep goes anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours or so.
My husbands cousin has a 12 month old and she has just cut out her morning sleep altogether but still has a big sleep in the afternoon.
I would agree with you and say that perhaps he is phasing out his morning sleep.

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi JZ,
My son is 12 months old and has a pretty good routine. Which has taken us a long time to get into. Our morning usually starts at 7am.
Thankfully Noah still has two naps. One at 10am and the other at 2pm.
Then it's off to bed at 6.30pm where he mostly sleeps right through until 7am. We still have the occasional night were we need to get up and give him his dummy, then he's back off to sleep.
He use to be a catnapper but with help from Tresillian (sleep school) we've thankfully broken the pattern and formed a strong routine.
Which makes for a happy mummy and daddy.
Cheers!
Hi
My boy joel has just changed in recent weeks. But really he should be have at least 1-1/2 hours do you leave him in the cot for longer to play, rather than getting him out as soon as he crys and wakes.
This will encourage him that he has to stay in the cot for longer. I could write a whole book on this as my boy was shocking right up unitl about 8 months now he sleeps 10.00am - 1.30 even longer sometimes then lunch then 3- 4.30 it varies in time like today he was up at 8 in cot at 9.30 asleep by 10.15 and he is still asleep at this point. 11.30am

I used this method - staying in the room letting him know it was ok to play in the cot. SSSH SSSH night night time. No eye contact jusst reassuring words. NOw I just pop him in their say night night time and give him his bottle he plays then goes off to sleep - used to be a huge fuss now happy to go in their and usually with his favourite toy of course.

I have brain picked many people and now have found the best method.
Hope this helps
Jentan1@bigpond.com

Janine.

Janine WA 16mth boy

HI there

My little girl (12 months) is still sleeping twice a day. SHe goes down at 9am and sleeps for a good hour and a half. Her second sleep is at 1pm and then it is another long hour sleep. SHe goes down at 7pm for her night sleep. ooops she wakes at 7am in the morning.

I am wondering when do they drop a sleep roughly? I want to join a church group but little poppet sleeps when it starts and well after it finishes!!!!

I am glad she is sleeping so well though, she has recently started walking with aid of furniture, must be tiring her out!!!

Kind Regards
Kath

QLD

Hi all,

My daughter is just over 12 months and we have had a lotofsleeping probs with her over the year. These days she wakes at 7 - 7.30 (getting up time isn't 'til 7.30 for her though so she stay in her bed 'til then) first nap it at 10 'til 11.30 second nap at 2.30 - sometimes 4 but mostly 4.30 then off to bed at 7.30pm.

I full attribute her incredibly improved sleep behaviour on my reading a book called 'Babywise'. It guides you through training them in what they term PDF or Parent Directed Feeding, and works off the idea that good sleeping habits are like anything else and are something the baby needs to learn.

Before I read it (Alynta was approx 8mnths at the time) I was getting barely any sleep and probably even less done (ie house stuff etc) but within 1 1/2 - 2 wks, she was sleeping through, having 3 regular naps a day and we were back to no nighttime feeds.(she started sleeping through at 4wks then stopped at 5 1/2months) Having a full night sleep was such bliss. We have a completely changed little girl - she is much happier and content and a lot of our clinginess probs have been solved also.

Anyway, if any one would like more info, please let me know.

Sign in to follow this topic