Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Need a routine Rss

Some people might remember me posting about the same thing about 6 months ago!! My son,who is almost 1,still co-sleeps with us.Although I love having him in bed with us,and my hubby (who works nights) says he loves climbing into bed with bub and me,I really feel that I can't take it anymore.I have spent a year pushed into a corner of my bed,and I think its time that bub graduated into his own room! Especially because my hubby and I are thinking of trying for another bubba in the next few months - which aint gonna happen with sonny boy in the bed!Lolololol.I have successfully fought him tonight,and he is in his room for the moment.Whats a good way to get him into a routine - and sleeping ins hid bed, in HIS room?Is he too old to break this habit?

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

Hi Marti
My girl sleeps in my bed too, which is nice but can be frustrating too. Maybe you could sit next to your son's cot until he is asleep, and just gradually over a few weeks move closer to the door until eventually you are not in the room anymore.
Does he have a favourite teddy bear that he can take to bed? Sometimes comfort things like that can help.Does he sleep through the night now?
Hi Laura
My son does sleep through the night - but only because he is in bed with us!He doesn't have a favourite toy or anything.Last night he slept in his room for about an hour and a half,and then woke up.I tried popping his dummy back in,and letting him cry,but it just broke my heart.In the end I was sitting next to his cot,rubbing his face,holding his hand and singing songs.Nothing worked.Then my hubby came home from work,and I lost all patience,put him in bed with us,and he went straight to sleep!Grrrrrrrr

Hi Marti
I know it is hard to get them to sleep by themselves, but if you persisted for about a week you would probably find that the sleep problems dissappear.You dont have to use controlled crying, you can stay in the room at all times and just comfort him-but no picking him up! If you cant bear to not pick him up, you could try the pick up put down method my Tracy Hogg(the baby whisperer). I have just read her book and its excellent! She does not believe in letting a baby "cry it out", she has different methods and they seem to work. I think the main thing with a baby sleep routine/ getting them to sleep independently is that you dont give up straight away if it doesnt work...because when it does eventually work you will be so glad you went through that week of hell!
My daughter starts the night off in her cot, but she wakes fairly frequently and im just too tired to settle her(ha, i should take my own advice hey) so she comes in my bed for the rest of the night. THis is driving my partner crazy! Doesnt bother me as much because at least she is right next to me if she wants a feed or cuddle. Anyway let me know how you go. I know how hard it is having sleep problems, my daughter is a major sleep fighter!
You could also write a post to Maree in the General Baby Topics Section.Have you seen that yet?
Good luck
I just realised I called you Laura Lara!! So sorry smile

I thought I might give a night by night update! Tonight we fought for over an hour,but I won,and he is asleep,in his bed,and I never once picked him up.I have heard of the pick up,put down routine,but thought I would just try it without picking him up first.I am travelling to Byron Bay next week,and remembered that he is meant to be sleeping in with me!! So I am going to ring the airline tomorrow to make sure I can take my port a cot!

Hi Marti
Good work! Keep it up, even if it doesnt seem to be working because eventually it will. Im also trying to get my daughter out of the bed now.Im just getting so sick of being squashed up in my own bed. I hope that the trip doesnt throw things out for you with the porta cot.Im going away in a few weeks as well, so im determined not to have her in the bed by then! If you want to check out the baby whisperer website(it is really good and has a chat forum) the adress is www.thebabywhisperer.com.
Hope everthing is still going well for you.
Hi Marti
How is it all going now with the sleeping arrangements? Hope its a little better for you
Hi Lara

I gave up for a little while while we went away,but started again two nights ago. The first night,he cried for an hour and a half,and got himself so worked up,he vomited on the floor. I didn't give in though,as hard as it was. He ended up going to sleep. Last night it only took about half an hour for the crying to stop,and after that he lay in his cot talking to himself for awhile,and then went to sleep. Today I have also done it with his afternoon nap. He is quiet in there now,after only 25 minutes.I know I have to be strong,and firm,if I want him out of my bed!

Tonight - he didn't cry at all,I just put him in his bed,and he went to sleep! YAY!

Well done Marti...........

This controlled crying thing is sooooooooooooo hard, I know, i've been there too!!!

Anyway, good on you for sticking to your guns.

Keep up the good work & soon you won't know yourself!!!!

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

The only problem being - he only sleeps in his bed for a few hours sad But at least its a start - I might start just leaving him in there from next week. Don't want to overload him.

Sign in to follow this topic